Kibana shows only one hit - latest log entry


#1

I have setup ELK.
Looks like it is working fine as it is shipping logs from all four files which I am reading from using filebeat.

However in Kibana, it only shows last entry.
The previous entry gets replaced from the view when new one comes in.
e.g If there is an entry showing up at 10:00 PM, it gets replaced by next entry at 10:01 PM.
At top left corner of Kibana, I always see "1 Hit".

How can I get my history logs?

************************************************************************LOGSTASH.CONF FILE
************************************************************************input
{
beats
{
port => 5045
ssl => true
ssl_certificate => "/opt/bitnami/logstash/ssl/logstash-remote.crt"
ssl_key => "/opt/bitnami/logstash/ssl/logstash-remote.key"
}

gelf

{

host => "0.0.0.0"

port => 12201

}

http

{

ssl => false

host => "0.0.0.0"

port => 8888

}

tcp

{

mode => "server"

host => "0.0.0.0"

port => 5010

}

udp

{

host => "0.0.0.0"

port => 5000

}

}

filter
{
grok {
match => { "message" => "COMBINEDAPACHELOG %{COMMONAPACHELOG} %{QS:referrer} %{QS:agent}" }
}
date {
match => [ "timestamp" , "dd/MMM/yyyy:HH:mm:ss Z" ]
}
}

output
{

elasticsearch
{
    hosts => ["127.0.0.1:9200"]
    document_id => "%{logstash_checksum}"
    index => "logstash-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
}

}

************************************************************************FILEBEAT.YML
************************************************************************filebeat.inputs:
- type: log
enabled: true
paths:
- /opt/apache-tomcat-8.5.32/logs/jaxws-cxf-ws.log
multiline.pattern: '^[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}.[0-9]{3}'
multiline.negate: true
multiline.match: after

   - type: log
     enabled: true
     paths:
       - /opt/apache-tomcat-8.5.32/logs/ipb-app.log
     multiline.pattern: '^\[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}.[0-9]{3}'
     multiline.negate: true
     multiline.match: after
     fields:
     ipb-app-log: true
     fields_under_root: true

   - type: log
     enabled: true  
     paths:
       - /opt/apache-tomcat-8.5.32/logs/ipb-app-security.log
     multiline.pattern: '^\[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}.[0-9]{3}'
     multiline.negate: true
     multiline.match: after
     fields:
     app_id: Sudarshan-Sec
     fields_under_root: true

   - type: log
     enabled: true         
     paths:
       - /opt/apache-tomcat-8.5.32/logs/catalina.out
     multiline.pattern: '^\[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}.[0-9]{3}'
     multiline.negate: true
     multiline.match: after
     fields:
     app_id: Sudarshan-Catalina
     fields_under_root: true

output.logstash:
hosts: ["10.4.0.138:5045"]
bulk_max_size: 1024
ssl.certificate_authorities: ["/etc/pki/tls/certs/logstash-remote.crt"]

I haven't changed anything on elasticsearch.yml, logstash.yml and kibana.yml

Two attached files show my Kibana dashboard captured within minutes.


(Tyler Smalley) #2

This seems like an issue with the Filebeat configuration, in that it appears to be updating a single value instead of creating a new one.

What is the output of http://localhost:9200/_cat/indices?v


#3

health status index uuid pri rep docs.count docs.deleted store.size pri.store.size
green open .kibana SbQazZ2MQ0G4NE8ahBAA3A 1 0 1 0 14.2kb 14.2kb
yellow open logstash-2018.10.19 h8eCydbwSoeS_dt6TZwxew 5 1 1 1 11.1kb 11.1kb
yellow open logstash-2018.10.10 ITiworyXSg-deTkbpVCduQ 5 1 1 0 16.1kb 16.1kb
yellow open logstash-2018.10.20 nXRbwanTSvONcKdxybx2Fw 5 1 1 1 21.9kb 21.9kb


#4

Just to give more information
I am using Bitnami Azure ELK template for this.
ELK setup/installation is in Azure and collecting logs from other machines in Azure.


(Christian Dahlqvist) #5

It looks to me like you are setting the document id in the Elasticsearch output based on a field that is not defined. This will cause all documents to get the same I’d, resulting in the same document being repeatedly updated. Remove the document ID or make sure the field is properly set for all documents.


#6

I figured this out with different approach.
I copied one more .conf file in my logstash directory and it started working.
Reason for this was the output entry in my second file.
It contains

output {
elasticsearch { hosts => ["localhost:9200"] }
stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

It looks like what Christian suggesting about ID is true and that is causing this issue.
I will try again without ID as suggested.

Thanks


(system) #7

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.