Kibana won't run with Shield LicenseExpiredException

I have my Kibana, Elastic and Shield running for quite sometime. The system is working properly even the Shield expired. But when I try to restart the ElasticSearch and Kibana, the Kibana then will run but gives me fatal error regarding Shield License and exit.

[root@xxxx kibana-4.0.1-linux-x64]# ./bin/kibana
{"@timestamp":"2015-10-06T08:47:12.126Z","level":"error","message":"LicenseExpiredException[license expired for feature [shield]]","node_env":"production","error":{"message":"LicenseExpiredException[license expired for feature [shield]]","name":"Error","stack":"Error: LicenseExpiredException[license expired for feature [shield]]\n at respond (/root/kibana-4.0.1-linux-x64/src/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/transport.js:235:15)\n at checkRespForFailure (/root/kibana-4.0.1-linux-x64/src/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/transport.js:203:7)\n at HttpConnector. (/root/kibana-4.0.1-linux-x64/src/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/connectors/http.js:156:7)\n at IncomingMessage.bound (/root/kibana-4.0.1-linux-x64/src/node_modules/elasticsearch/node_modules/lodash-node/modern/internals/baseBind.js:56:17)\n at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:117:20)\n at _stream_readable.js:944:16\n at process._tickCallback (node.js:442:13)\n"}}
{"@timestamp":"2015-10-06T08:47:12.128Z","level":"fatal","message":"LicenseExpiredException[license expired for feature [shield]]","node_env":"production","error":{"message":"LicenseExpiredException[license expired for feature [shield]]","name":"Error","stack":"Error: LicenseExpiredException[license expired for feature [shield]]\n at respond (/root/kibana-4.0.1-linux-x64/src/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/transport.js:235:15)\n at checkRespForFailure (/root/kibana-4.0.1-linux-x64/src/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/transport.js:203:7)\n at HttpConnector. (/root/kibana-4.0.1-linux-x64/src/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/connectors/http.js:156:7)\n at IncomingMessage.bound (/root/kibana-4.0.1-linux-x64/src/node_modules/elasticsearch/node_modules/lodash-node/modern/internals/baseBind.js:56:17)\n at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:117:20)\n at _stream_readable.js:944:16\n at process._tickCallback (node.js:442:13)\n"}}

From what I understand only the cluster health and monitoring will not be available when the Shield expired. How can I make the system run again? Thanks!

Kibana requires Elasticsearch health and monitoring permissions to make sure Elasticsearch backend is available. So you'll need to get a valid license to use Kibana with Shield.

Thanks!

I had the same question. When I thought about evaluating Shield, the docs gave me the impression that some features that were non-critical to me would no longer function, but I could still use Kibana. This is not the case. I would just suggest clearly setting expectations on what will stop working (i.e. Kibana) so it is not a surprise.

1 Like