License information could not be obtained from Elasticsearch due to [illegal_argument_exception] request [/_xpack] contains unrecognized parameter: [accept_enterprise]

Hi there,
We are trying to upgrade elasticsearch stack from 7.4.0 to 7.10.2, however when upgrading to 7.10.2 we are facing the following error message from kibana logs.

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-05-03T13:20:35Z","tags":["warning","plugins","licensing"],"pid":1,"message":"License information could not be obtained from Elasticsearch due to [illegal_argument_exception] request [/_xpack] contains unrecognized parameter: [accept_enterprise] :: {\"path\":\"/_xpack?accept_enterprise=true\",\"statusCode\":400,\"response\":\"{\\\"error\\\":{\\\"root_cause\\\":[{\\\"type\\\":\\\"illegal_argument_exception\\\",\\\"reason\\\":\\\"request [/_xpack] contains unrecognized parameter: [accept_enterprise]\\\"}],\\\"type\\\":\\\"illegal_argument_exception\\\",\\\"reason\\\":\\\"request [/_xpack] contains unrecognized parameter: [accept_enterprise]\\\"},\\\"status\\\":400}\"} error"}

Even a rolling upgrade from 7.10.1 to 7.10.2 does not seem to fix/bypass this issue, it only shows on 7.10.2.
The license we have is a platinum tier.

Can anyone provide some guidelines as to what would be the best approach to fix this?
If you require any more info I will attach whatever is needed.

Thanks

Hi @IBoskov Welcome to the community.

Sorry you are having issues.

Since your are a platinum customer I highly recommend open a support case, they should be able to help you and are experts on these kind of issues.

1 Like

It sounds like you might still have a 7.4 node in your cluster.
Can you double check?

GET /_cat/nodes?v=true&h=id,ip,port,v

Hi @TimV all nodes are upgraded to 7.10.2, and as I mentioned this only happens when upgrading to 7.10.2.
Previously the upgrade was on 7.10.1 and there was no issue related with the license, I wouldn't expect to have much changes between two sequential minor versions.

id   port v
3Tiy 9300 7.10.2
RBWw 9300 7.10.2
cMCp 9300 7.10.2
8qsr 9300 7.10.2
wO1f 9300 7.10.2
ITK8 9300 7.10.2
uv3I 9300 7.10.2
tU28 9300 7.10.2

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.