Login is currently disabled after security on

now I am trying to initiate x-pack Security but seeing some errors.

in Kibana: (i am seeing below error while screen showing "login" feature)
"Login is currently disabled. Administrators should consult the Kibana logs for more details."

I looked at the kibana log what the kibana page advised to me, and below errors were observed.

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2018-10-06T06:30:56Z","tags":["license","warning","xpack"],"pid":8247,"message":"License information from the X-Pack plugin could not be obtained from Elasticsearch for the [data] cluster. [security_exception] missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate="Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\"" } } :: {"path":"/_xpack","statusCode":401,"response":"{\"error\":{\"root_cause\":[{\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}}],\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}},\"status\":401}","wwwAuthenticateDirective":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2018-10-06T06:31:26Z","tags":["license","warning","xpack"],"pid":8247,"message":"License information from the X-Pack plugin could not be obtained from Elasticsearch for the [data] cluster. [security_exception] missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate="Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\"" } } :: {"path":"/_xpack","statusCode":401,"response":"{\"error\":{\"root_cause\":[{\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}}],\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}},\"status\":401}","wwwAuthenticateDirective":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2018-10-06T06:31:56Z","tags":["license","warning","xpack"],"pid":8247,"message":"License information from the X-Pack plugin could not be obtained from Elasticsearch for the [data] cluster. [security_exception] missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate="Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\"" } } :: {"path":"/_xpack","statusCode":401,"response":"{\"error\":{\"root_cause\":[{\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}}],\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}},\"status\":401}","wwwAuthenticateDirective":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2018-10-06T06:32:26Z","tags":["license","warning","xpack"],"pid":8247,"message":"License information from the X-Pack plugin could not be obtained from Elasticsearch for the [data] cluster. [security_exception] missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate="Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\"" } } :: {"path":"/_xpack","statusCode":401,"response":"{\"error\":{\"root_cause\":[{\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}}],\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}},\"status\":401}","wwwAuthenticateDirective":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}"}

what i did before i experienced above errors were as below.

1. xpack.security.enabled: true
  2. set password for "elastic","kibana" and "logstash-system" users, then put passwords to ELK configurations.
  3. restarted ELK.

Please advice what i should do to resolve.

Please don't tell me to security setting to "off". I am trying to make this works. :frowning:

Thank you!

Hi ,

Have you read our documentation? It looks like you are on the right track, you just need to configure kibana. Please start from here

thank you for your reply, ikakavas. the problem was solved by below solution what you advised.

• i removed elasticsearch.username and elasticsearch.password lines from kibana.yml.
  • i created keystore then add username and password there.
  • restarted kibana. "login is currently disabled" was gone on the kibana login page. i typed username and password which just created in the keystore. logged in successfully! :slight_smile:

thanks alot!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.