Logstash Kafka-Input plugin not using the values supplied in `bootstrap_servers` for connecting to Kafka Broker

Elastic Stack Version: 7.2.0
Kafka Version: 5.0.1
Using docker-compose to deploy Elastic Stack, with Kafka sitting on a remote system which is reachable via direct IP (192.168.0.2)

In the logstash.conf file we have:

input {
        kafka {
            bootstrap_servers => ["192.168.0.2:9092"]
            topics => ["syslog"]
            tags => ["from-kafka"]
        }   
}

I have confirmed using kafka-console-consumer that the endpoint is active and that the topic exists. However, when the logstash server is started the log entries show that logstash is trying to connect to localhost:

[2019-08-01T15:03:49,021][WARN ][org.apache.kafka.clients.NetworkClient] [Consumer clientId=logstash-0, groupId=logstash] Connection to node 1 (localhost/127.0.0.1:9092) could not be established. Broker may not be available.

I have tried every other possible configuration of kafka input such as:

kafka {
            bootstrap_servers => "192.168.0.2:9092"
            topics => ["syslog"]
            tags => ["from-kafka"]
        }   

As shown in documentation, but the same error as above is shown. And:

kafka {
            host => "192.168.0.2"
            port => "9092"
            topics => ["syslog"]
            tags => ["from-kafka"]
        }   

But logstash errors out saying that host and port are unknown fields for kafka-input.

I am at a point where I do not believe that this can be a misconfiguration, as the config file is exactly as is described in the 7.2 documentation for kafka-input plugin.

Is there a new change in the kafka-input plugin that hasn't been properly documented in 7.2.0 documentation or is there an unknown bug in this new version? I haven't had a chance to downgrade to an older stack version but I will try asap to see if this is a versioning issue. Has anyone had any success getting a remote kafka-input setup working with ES 7.2.0 yet? I can get it working with localhost:9209 but we are in desperate need of having a decoupled Kafka-ES setup.

Thanks.

1 Like

If I am reading it correctly then the bootstrap server has told the kafka client to connect to localhost/9092.

Oh okay, so this is an issue with the Kafka bootstrap client telling the logstash server to try to connect to the wrong endpoint? I will look into it a bit further, thanks.

EDIT:
Thanks @Badger, this was in fact the issue. I resolved it by changing the advertised.listeners in config/server.properties in Kafka. It is a Kafka issue. My bad. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.