Logstash not Starting

Hello,

I am trying to install ELK & I follow all topic on

when i try this command
sudo service logstash configtest
Error is
Could not find any executable java binary. Please install java in your PATH or set JAVA_HOME.
When Java is installed

also when i try this command
sudo service logstash start
logstash started.

After
sudo service logstash status
logstash is not running

also when i try to see logs, i did't find any log file in
/var/log/logstash/logstash.log

even when i print
echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_45/jre

how to find what is issue and fix?

Thanks

There could be a few issues. I'm running logstash on 3 production machines with Centos 7.3 Minimal. I had several issues to work through. But honestly, my biggest struggle was various java installers. This one below, which happens to be the one they recommend in the documentation, but I missed it several times reading through. Once you install it, you should get the following when running "java -version"

[elasticsearch@blf-logstash-001 logstash]$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_121"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode)

There is also a chance that your logstash user doesn't have enough permissions to write to the log file location. So you can chown/chmod that directory. You can also try to give the logstash user sudo rights without password input in visudo:
sudo visudo
ADD LINE BELOW
logstash ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Finally, make sure you have opened up port 9600/tcp on the firewall. Here is the command if you have firewall-cmd installed.
sudo firewall-cmd --permanent --add-port=9600/tcp
sudo systemctl restart firewalld

Hope these ideas help, we need to get that log writing so you can at least get some feed back. Can you post what you have for the yaml config? "/etc/logstash/logstash.yml"

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.