First, please note that I'm pretty new to Ruby.
I would like to play around with the logstash-output-kafka plugin for educational purposes, but I can't get it to run even before I have made any modifications to it.
What I have done:
- Installed Logstash (version 6.5.4)
- Update the existing plugin (logstash-plugin update logstash-output-kafka)
- Check existing version (logstash-plugin list --verbose | grep kafka)
- Verify it is working by starting Logstash
- Clone source code of the same version
- Build the gem (gem build logstash-output-kafka.gemspec)
- Install gem (logstash-plugin install logstash-output-kafka-8.0.0.gem)
- Start Logstash
But it fails with
Couldn't find any output plugin named 'kafka'. Are you sure this is correct? Trying to load the kafka output plugin resulted in this error: Problems loading the requested plugin named kafka of type output. Error: RuntimeError you might need to reinstall the gem which depends on the missing jar or in case there is Jars.lock then resolve the jars withlock_jars
command\n\nno such file to load -- org/apache/kafka/kafka-clients/2.1.0/kafka-clients-2.1.0 (LoadError)
I have tried to install dependencies according to the instructions on the Github page (https://github.com/logstash-plugins/logstash-output-kafka). I have tried with the JRuby binary used by Logstash as well as a freshly downloaded.
Logstash always fails with the same error.
I have found lots of people reporting the same issue but no one seems to share an answer to what is missing.
What am I doing wrong?