Many a times the dependencies do not show up in Java Agent

Dear Elastic APM fans…

I have a very tricky situation, we started using elastic APM; and we are in learning curve phase.
Most of the times, the dependencies do not turn up. But sometimes for some other service, it does show the dependencies.

But when I enter into ‘transactions’ link, I get the dependencies in trace. Yes, some of our dev colleagues did instrument there.
Attached: Images should give some information.

Kibana version: Kibana: 7.14.2
Elasticsearch version: 7.14.2

APM Server version:7.12.1

APM Agent language and version:
Elastic APM Java Agent / 1.30.1

Browser version: Chrome Version 101.0.4951.64 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version:
CRD

Fresh install or upgraded from other version?
Upgraded from previous version

Is there anything special in your setup?
Nothing special setup. For some services in the same cluster (developed for Java 11), things work as expected. But for most of the services, the dependencies do not turn up . Most of the dependencies are in gRPC calls to start with. These gRPC servers are implemented in Java. But when you drill down to transactions, one can see the dependencies.

Logs
I tried looking into traces, it did not help much.

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior.
It is expected to get the dependencies. Is there anything missing?

Any chance you can upgrade to like 7.17.3? ... there were some pretty significant updates with respect to dependency tracking after 7.14 Including a dedicated page / details.

Ok. Shall revert soon. It will take time like five days. :slight_smile:

Well.. Stephen, I did not try to upgrade to the recommended version as there is fair amount 'landscape' upgrade that needs to be carried out .. We upgraded to APM to 7.14.2 just to be on par with Elasticsearch stack.

In coming weeks, I will upgrade to 7.17.3. Till then, this thread can be closed.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.