Map not showing correctly in Uptime UI

Hey I successfully configured heartbeat 7.12.0 with my elastic stack 7.12.0, I have 2 nodes to monitor, I configured the geo processor to be able to visualize my VMs on a map, the problem is that the map isn't shown properly (see the picture below)

and my geo processor:

processors:
  - add_observer_metadata:
      # Optional, but recommended geo settings for the location Heartbeat is running in
      cache.ttl: 5m
      geo:
        # Token describing this location
        name: montbonnot
        # Lat, Lon "
        continent_name: Europe
        country_iso_code: FR
        region_name: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes
        region_iso_code: FR-ARA
        city_name: Montbonnot-Saint-Martin

I am expected to get a map like in this link: Service monitoring and availability made simple with Elastic Uptime and Heartbeat, what am I missing please?

Hi @marone , I am sorry you had to face this unpleasant experience. Yes it is probably broken due to some underlaying mapping changes.

Good/Bad news is that we have decided to remove the map, we decided it wasn't particularly useful , since most user probably monitor from only handful locations, maintenance cost was too high for that map for us to justify.

I think it's removed in 7.13 though i will have to recheck that.

Though we are exploring options to link to kibana map app from the uptime app, if someone still wants to use that. But that is still up for discussion.

Do let us know if you had a genuine use case or if map was useful for you. we will definitely consider that feedback.

Regards

Thanks for your reply @shahzad31, to be honest, I am exploring/testing the observability offer with all its features, and was cool to see the locations of servers in a map, for my use case it's not important as it's a testing environment but in some projects where we have cross-cluster search it will be easier for a person who is not familiar with elastic and kibana to automatically have an idea about all different locations of our servers in a production environment, instead of looking somewhere or in a raw text where servers are located. Or move the map in metrics UI that would be meaningful too.

At least that's what I think based on my 'humble' experience :relaxed:!

Thanks again!

Hi @marone

To be precise /.clear the map in uptime would have only shown the location of your monitors, not the location of each and every server the monitors were checking.

There is the main maps app and geoip enrichment processor, but I suspect your servers are in private Networks so geoip DBs are not super helpful.

What we do see is folks using an enrich processor to add location to incoming server data , which then can be easily mapped. You must provide your own location data for this method.

Just a couple thoughts

yes @stephenb that's what I did I used the processor as you can see it from my heartbeat.conf, the dot appear clearly, but the map tile doesn't! what I understand from what you said is that there is another method to do it? correct me if I am wrong.

Hi @marone @shahzad31

Couple things

1st I see the same thing, this looks like a Bug in the Map on Uptime, So I think you are configured correctly. But as @shahzad31 said that map is going away in the next release.

2nd You can create your own map see here and save it , and add it to a dashboard.

3rd what I was talking about was a way to see the location of Each Server not just the location of the monitor

This code

processors:
  - add_observer_metadata:
      # Optional, but recommended geo settings for the location Heartbeat is running in
      cache.ttl: 5m
      geo:
        # Token describing this location
        name: montbonnot
        # Lat, Lon "

Adds the ONLY the location of the monitor not perhaps the 100s of servers that is may monitor which could be in different locations.

I am not trying to add confusion but you were saying you are exploring. What I was saying (and it does take work) is that there are ways to add location to the 100s or 1000s of servers that you may be monitoring... or collecting logs or metrics etc. If you really want to see all of them on the map.

There are GeoIP databases which work for public IPs and / or you can use an Enrich Processor with your own location data...

1 Like

I see that's a good workaround @stephenb , thank you so much :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.