Missing network traffic from metricbeat on mac OS

I am investigating an issue where one of my macs is reporting network traffic and the other is not.

Both macs have High Sierra macOS 10.13.6 (17G11023). I include the build number because that changed last week when apple pushed out security update 2020-001 and a bunch of things changed. Could this be a file permissions problem? Is it a missing tool that metric beat would use?

The system.yml file on each machine are identical, as are the metricbeat.yml files

cat /usr/local/etc/metricbeat/modules.d/system.yml 
# Module: system
# Docs: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/metricbeat/7.5/metricbeat-module-system.html

- module: system
  period: 10s
  metricsets:
    - cpu
    - load
    - memory
    - network
    - process
    - process_summary
    - socket_summary
    #- entropy
    #- core
    - diskio
    #- socket
  process.include_top_n:
    by_cpu: 5      # include top 5 processes by CPU
    by_memory: 5   # include top 5 processes by memory

period: 1m
  metricsets:
    - filesystem
    - fsstat
  processors:
  - drop_event.when.regexp:
      system.filesystem.mount_point: '^/(sys|cgroup|proc|dev|etc|host|lib)($|/)'

period: 15m
  metricsets:
    - uptime

#- module: system
#  period: 5m
#  metricsets:
#    - raid
#  raid.mount_point: '/'

The service is run under my user id on both machines.

macpro2:~ jjwelch$ brew services list
Name            Status  User    Plist
metricbeat-full started <local admin> /usr/local/opt/metricbeat-full/homebrew.mxcl.metricbeat-full.plist

Digging into the metrics themselves reveal the data IS in elastic so maybe a problem with the dashboard?

@aviationfan,

If both macs are running the same version of MacOS, it's unlikely to be a dashboard issue. Are the events being sent by the bad node complete? Can you turn on debug logging and check for any permissions/event errors?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.