Multiple index pattern of same name

Kibana version : 7.6

Elasticsearch version : 7.6

APM Server version : 7.3.2

APM Agent language and version : java 1.9.0

Fresh install or upgraded from other version? fresh install

Is there anything special in your setup? For example, are you using the Logstash or Kafka outputs? Are you using a load balancer in front of the APM Servers? Have you changed index pattern, generated custom templates, changed agent configuration etc. :-----No

As shown in below screen I see two apm-* in y index pattern. This creates confusion s to which one to select when I create visualizations. What could be the reason for this ? .

Also this is my index management screen .. I did multiple upgradation and have below indices . Is that why Index pattern has multiple apm-* ?

Hello Anjana,

I cannot explain where this comes from but I can at least add a bit of information as I can see the same(We are also using version 7.6 but we upgraded from 6.8 so I guess my second pattern comes from the upgrade):
When checking the apm indexes
https://host:5601/api/saved_objects/_find?type=index-pattern&fields=id&search_fields=title&search=apm
I see the following:

{
            "type": "index-pattern",
            "id": "apm-*",
            "references": [],
            "migrationVersion": {
                "index-pattern": "7.6.0"
            },
            "updated_at": "2020-02-21T10:14:50.733Z",
            "version": "WzExNzY0LDFd"
        }, {
            "type": "index-pattern",
            "id": "apm_static_index_pattern_id",
            "references": [],
            "migrationVersion": {
                "index-pattern": "7.6.0"
            },
            "updated_at": "2020-03-13T06:02:57.875Z",
            "version": "WzU0MjAyLDJd"
        }

The IDs are different and after I searched the internet I came upon this issue:

If someone wants to create their own index pattern they can submit it via the API. They should just make sure to set the id as apm_static_index_pattern_id . All other fields can freely be changed:

So I guess that the pattern with ID apm_static_index_pattern_id is the correct one but I do not know where the other comes from for you.

I hope this helps a bit.

Best regards
Wolfram

@anjana1 @Wolfram_Haussig this is (was) a bug on our side - a fix is in for 7.8: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/pull/64883

Hi ,
@dgieselaar I have upgraded to 7.8. So after I did a restore I ended Up creating an apm index . Then I imported my saved objected from previous version, which caused an extra apm-* saved object to be imported. So since I created an apm-* index pattern initially I ended up having two occurences of apm-* again. But if I delete the originally created index pattern that solves the issue. But unlike you said it didn't resolve in 7.8?

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.