Should there be several Kibana apm-* index patterns in Kibana?

If you are asking about a problem you are experiencing, please use the following template, as it will help us help you. If you have a different problem, please delete all of this text :slight_smile:

Kibana version: 7.7.0

Elasticsearch version: 7.7.0

APM Server version: 7.6.2

APM Agent language and version: many different, probably not related

Browser version: many different, probably not related

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version: Debian package. Puppet managed

Fresh install or upgraded from other version?
All components have probably been upgraded several times

Is there anything special in your setup? For example, are you using the Logstash or Kafka outputs? Are you using a load balancer in front of the APM Servers? Have you changed index pattern, generated custom templates, changed agent configuration etc.

Nothing special

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):

I see several index patterns named apm-* in Kibana. These have, as far as I know, been created by APM Server.
The Kibana dashboards seem to rely on a index pattern with id:apm-*
There is another index pattern with id:apm_static_index_pattern_id which seems to be used by the APM app

Steps to reproduce:

1. Remove all apm-* index patterns from Management > Index Patterns
  2. Open one of the APM dashboards in Dashboards. You should see Could not locate that index-pattern (id: apm-*), click here to re-create it. To re-create it you have to manually set the id to apm-* otherwise the dashboards wont work.
  3. Open APM app (creates id:apm_static_index_pattern_id)

After filling this out it seems like more of a Kibana issue... Still, curious to know if this is meant to be like this. Maybe I need to update the APM dashboards found in Dashboards

Hi @A_B, thanks for your message.

It was already fixed in this PR which is going to be released on v7.8.0

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.