Due to circumstances beyond my control, i need to start 2 instances on one physical server.
My servers specs are 32 cpu cores, 189GB ram, 16x1TB HDD and 2x120GB SSD.
I plan to have one instance run on the 16TB HDD partition and another instance on the 240GB SSD partition. Ultimate goal is to create a hot pool and cold pool.
The design is stuck given limitations so i am more curious about actual deployment / implementations. I dont see any clear cut guide about what to do. I am sure other people have tried this before. I have hoping to have a good "guide" or discussion here as a "peer review" and for others who need it in the future.
This is my thoughts on what needs to be done:
- I install the primary instance using elasticsearch's yum repo
- duplicate the init script changing LOG_DIR, DATA_DIR,WORK_DIR,CONF_DIR, CONF_FILE,PID_DIR
- duplicate the elasticsearch.yml changing node.name, http.ports, path.data, transport.tcp.port, path.log, lower processors
- create the proper data/log directories
- (sysconfig file is mentioned but everything is commented out on my file so not sure if that file is still valid)
- run the new init script and cross my fingers.
- if the 2nd instance actually runs from what i can tell in the log, then add to chkconfig
upgrades would be super tricky i believe. I would need to stop both instances on the server. yum upgrade the binaries. Check to make sure none of the configs were messed up. Start the instances up one by one.
Would greatly appreciate anyone sharing their experiences. What worked / what didnt.
Thanks for reading this long post