Multiple Kibana instances on elasticsearch cluster

I have two kibana instances on version 8.1.2 .

I installed the first one with rpm and for the second one I followed kibana dev guide and built an localized kibana in order to translate the UI to greek.

I used to have these two kibana instances on version 7.15 and by configuring the "kibana.index" option in kibana.yml of the localized kibana and setting "elastisearch.username" to "elastic", I was able to connect both kibana instances to the same cluster.

When I upgraded both and researched the documentation, I found out that these options are now deprecated and I cannot connect two instances on the same Elasticsearch cluster.
Source : Removing legacy multitenancy · Issue #82020 · elastic/kibana · GitHub

One option is to use "remote cluster search", and creating one extra cluster for each of my kibana instances in order to search via them on my current big cluster.

Question1: Is this a viable solution?

Question2: Is there a simpler way or a workaround for the previous feature in order to get the two kibana instances running on the same cluster?

1 Like

Hi @George_Dimitropoulos

how did you come to the conclusion that two Kibana instances can't connect to one ES cluster ?

Hello,

I am getting this error

{"statusCode":500,"error":"Internal Server Error","message":
"Multiple versions of Kibana are running against the same Elasticsearch 
cluster, unable to authorize user."}

and also on the kibana.log I am getting this log :

{"ecs":{"version":"8.0.0"},"@timestamp":"2022-05-20T09:30:39.189+03:00",
"message":"Unable to  navigate to space \"stats\". Error: Multiple versions of
 Kibana are running against the same Elasticsearch cluster, unable to authorize
 user.","log": {"level":"ERROR","logger":"plugins.spaces"},
"process":{"pid":6428},"trace":{"id":"aa40b4bd873e0ace9a1d7ae6940f108f"},
"transaction":{"id":"356a852d44a09bbf"}}

Furthermore, it is stated on this issue too: Removing legacy multitenancy · Issue #82020 · elastic/kibana · GitHub

After reading this Use Kibana in a production environment | Kibana Guide [8.1] | Elastic in the documentation, I tried running the localized kibana with two different kibana.yml and configs and it actually worked fine!

Is this feature supported or is it something that it should not happen?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.