My story

Because it started to become little mess, I wanted to shed some light on my story.

We are small, 2 people-only, company. Our main fierld of activity was cloud-computing.

As catalog of goods we offer got larger, we though itd be nice to offer some customizeable search vst/dat

Google showed ES. We downloaded this. Since our download went ok, we followed ES's guide to install this software. And this is when our problems begun.

After restarting server, it stopped during boot on trying to 'wake' ELASTICSEARCH INIT-SCRIPT. Reason? This script is poorly written. Outcome:: no possibility to start server.

Reactions here? 1. Giving message of deletion of my topic; ES rep being very rude, giving 4 hours wait time.

Sorry guys, but CEO of ES is well-aware of whats going on. And he silently accepts it

Thats why I start anti-ES-usage campain. This product is pure shit

We are always welcoming pull requests. We will be more than happy to have you as a contributor of our project. As the other 855 we had so far: Contributors to elastic/elasticsearch · GitHub

we followed ES's guide to install this software. And this is when our problems begun.

The fact is that you never shared exactly the details we have been asking for.
For example in Installing ES - #4 by dadoonet, I asked for:

If so, can you tell exactly at which step it's failing or not giving back the expected behavior?

@warkolm also tried to help: Installing ES - #5 by warkolm

If you are still having problems and seeing errors then please do post as much detail of them so we can try to diagnose and resolve them with you. You'll find that we are more than willing to help if you can provide further information :slight_smile:

But you never answered to those points.

Again, we are happy to help if you give us details to help.

OK, I will try to explain

1. Downloaded ES in its binary form, unzipped it, placed under /var/www/es/.

2. Installed ES via its installer

3. Reboot server.

4. Stuck on INIT process.

Our IT teams (including me) are working on this particular server to get it back online (first running than online). Seems that this outage is due to some crappy code from ES (to be precise - its init scripts as server hangs there).

I may consider contributing to ES, but this issue has to be solved first. With issue solved, I may think of contributing.

Downloaded ES in its binary form

Which one exactly?

Installed ES via its installer

What exact command line you are running?
Are you running on Windows?

What is exactly your environment?

Ive answered all of your questions in the thread(s) you linked. Read it, as I dont like and will not to repeat myself. Its called attentive reading.

Not really.

• Can you paste here the exact link you used to download elasticsearch?
  • Can you paste here the exact command line you ran to install elasticsearch?
  • Can you paste here the exact output of the command line?
  1. tar.gz
    2 & 3. I used this page to get ES started.

As of output, there is no such thing like console output here.

Ok.

You downloaded the .tar.gz version and not the debian package then.
So you did not install elasticsearch as a service as it is documented for Ubuntu systems here: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/deb.html

Question 1: Any reason you did not follow the guide?

The page you linked to: https://www.elastic.co/start does not show any command line you followed.

Again:

Question 2: Can you paste here the exact command line you ran to install elasticsearch?

The reason being name of this guuide, so as the name says.......
Yet again: attentive reading. Linked page does show commands (2 of them),
And yes, tar.gz contains sources > compile them and you get deb package.
In this case - there is no need as you get complete dir with everything inside - just copy to your webserver and you're done.

So you still don't want to provide the command you ran?

Let me do some suppositions then.

So far I can understand that you ran:

wget https://artifacts.elastic.co/downloads/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-5.5.0.tar.gz
tar xvf elasticsearch-5.5.0.tar.gz
cd elasticsearch-5.5.0

Am I right so far?

Then you say:

tar.gz contains sources > compile them and you get deb package.

Which is confusing because here is what I'm getting:

$ ll
total 432
-rw-r--r--   1 dpilato  staff    9548 Jul  1 01:14 README.textile
-rw-r--r--   1 dpilato  staff   11358 Jul  1 01:14 LICENSE.txt
-rw-r--r--   1 dpilato  staff  194187 Jul  1 01:20 NOTICE.txt
drwxr-xr-x   2 dpilato  staff      68 Jul  1 01:20 plugins
drwxr-xr-x  37 dpilato  staff    1258 Jul  1 01:20 lib
drwxr-xr-x  13 dpilato  staff     442 Jul  1 01:20 modules
drwxr-xr-x   5 dpilato  staff     170 Jul  1 01:20 config
drwxr-xr-x  17 dpilato  staff     578 Jul  1 01:20 bin

No source from here.

May you did not download from https://artifacts.elastic.co/downloads/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-5.5.0.tar.gz but from github like: https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/archive/v5.4.3.tar.gz

If you did that, you totally got it wrong. But again, it's not super clear what you did so far.

I'm asking again the same questions:

• Question 1: Any reason you did not follow the guide?
  • Question 2: Can you paste here the exact command line you ran to install elasticsearch?

Not answering is a waste of your own time I'm afraid as I can't really help without doing a real diagnostic.

BTW why do you think you need to copy files in a webserver?

just copy to your webserver

Where did you see that instruction?

OK I will tell you once again::

I followed starting guide (whats written there) and broke our install (=OS)

As of your listing - where its from? ES presents sth different.

Learn about GZ (and tar.gz): Its SDS (=Source Distribution System), as name says, its designed to store sources. Of course - you may pack whatever you want, but it primary goal is to store sources.

Reason? Just because Im confused - you have two (or even more - I dont know) starting guidelines instead of one solid.

As of your listing - where its from? ES presents sth different.

Just paste the commands I shown:

wget https://artifacts.elastic.co/downloads/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-5.5.0.tar.gz
cd elasticsearch-5.5.0
ls -l

And tell me what you have.

Learn about GZ (and tar.gz)

Actually, TAR means: Tape ARchiver. See tar (computing) - Wikipedia

In computing, tar is a computer software utility for collecting many files into one archive file, often referred to as a tarball, for distribution or backup purposes.

GZ stands for GZIP: See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gzip:

gzip is a file format and a software application used for file compression and decompression.

as name says, its designed to store sources.

I don't think so. But may be you'd like to fix Wikipedia definitions?

Reason? Just because Im confused - you have two (or even more - I dont know) starting guidelines instead of one solid.

On the start page, I read:

Download package for your platform.

Extract .zip or tar.gz file

cd into extracted folder

cd elasticsearch-5.5.0

Nothing more. I don't know where you saw that you have to compile anything.
On the other end, if you have clicked on "Or install with a package manager or Windows MSI." link, you have read then:

Where you have documentation for whatever package you can get officially from elastic.

I'd encourage you reading the following one as you stated that you want to deploy elasticsearch on Ubuntu.

This links to the page I already pasted:

So I believe that everything from the start page is there.

Now, coming back to your problem:

Can you follow the very first advice I gave you and follow all the steps mentioned at Install Elasticsearch with Debian Package | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic?

If you have any issue by running this guide, please feel free to open a question in elasticsearch forum as it could help other community members. Please provide there all details (commands and outputs).

In case you want to offer to your customers a production ready elasticsearch cluster which is pre-installed, managed by elastic and is providing out of the box security, backups... you should give a look at https://cloud.elastic.co/.

2 Likes

What did I get?
[root@linuxserver elasticsearch-5.5.0]# ls -al razem 244 drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 07-01 01:20 . dr-xr-x--- 7 root root 4096 07-07 16:06 .. drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 07-07 16:06 bin drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 07-01 01:20 config drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 07-01 01:20 lib -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11358 07-01 01:14 LICENSE.txt drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 07-01 01:20 modules -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 194187 07-01 01:20 NOTICE.txt drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 07-01 01:20 plugins -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9548 07-01 01:14 README.textile
`So this is what should be?

Now - it was our decision to decluster srv, re-edit _SA ETR records and install CentOS. Now - ES tutorial for this OS is ok and ES is now (probably) working at our testserver

We are still recovering our production server.

And no, I will not pay for cloud. Its pressumably as crappy as whole ES.

@dadoonet - thank you for your patience in this thread.

@wldev - I am closing this thread. As per our community guidelines, being civil is a key element of the community. I understand your frustration but the manner in which you are expressing yourself (both in this thread, others, and in the flags you are adding to content) is unacceptable.

2 Likes