Need guidance on geoip ingest plugin with Elastic Cloud

I'm trying to understand and implement the geoip ingest plugin to geocode my IP addresses is log files. I am presently using hosted Elastic Cloud, meaning that while I am running my own Logstash instance, ElasticSearch and Kibana are hosted and running on the cloud.

This seems to muddy the waters a bit with understanding some documentation and forum posts, as it seems things can be slightly different when the whole ELK stack is hosted together. The question I have here is of that flavor a bit.

What I am trying to understand is since Elasticsearch is running on the cloud, and with it the geoip ingest plugin also on the cloud -- how / where does geocoding / assigning a value to the geoip fields in an index happen? I've noticed that by turning on this plugin, I now have those geo- fields in my index, though no value has been assigned to them. (My IP-typed fields are being pulled in for some reasons as strings also, but that's a different question).

In this configuration, what is the proper approach to getting those geo- fields properly populated using the cloud-hosted geoip ingest plugin?

Thanks....

You only need to set it in either Logstash or Ingest.

What does your configs look like now?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.