Not getting dynamic index in elasticsearch using logstash

Hello,

I am facing issues when trying to create dynamic indexes using logstash. I have different log events coming from a single file,so i wanted to make them identifiable in the filter section using the identifier present in the log event. Also as per the identifier, I want to create index.
i tried to make it possible with below given configuration but logstash stops and no error message is given out. I am stuck at this point. Could somebody please help me with this.
Below is my configuration

input
{
file
{
path => ["/var/log/bulk/sample_audit.json"]
sincedb_path => "/dev/null"
start_position => "beginning"
}
}

filter {
json { source => message }
ruby {
code => "event['logtype'] = event['preinfo']['task']['log']jobname"
}
split {
field => "preinfo[task][log][logmessage]"
target => "output"
}
}

output
{
elasticsearch {
hosts => ["10.201.181.204:9200"]
sniffing => false
manage_template => false
index => "%{logtype}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
}
}

Could some one please help me out with this??

Thanks
Nitin

Can you explain this more please, what do you mean, what do you see, can you post logs or any output?

Do all the events have the field logtype defined? If this is not the case I suspect the index name could end up being invalid;id, but that should show up in the logs. have you tried outputting them to stdout using a rubydebug codec?

Thanks @Christian_Dahlqvist @warkolm i have changed my configuration. Below is my configuration

input
{
    file
    {
        path => ["/var/log/bulk/sample_audit.json"]
        sincedb_path => "/dev/null"
        start_position => "beginning"
    }
}
filter {
json {	source => message }
if ["preinfo[task]jobname"] == "sudoers:linux"{
split {
      field => "preinfo[task][log][logmessage]"
      target => "output"
    }
}
}
output 
{
elasticsearch {
    hosts => ["10.201.181.204:9200"]
    sniffing => false
    manage_template => false
    index => "%{[preinfo[task]jobname]-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
  }
} 

With this config i can create the desired index as per the jobname but now the problem is I cannot split nested arrays present in the log event and intresting part is i can get my desired result after removing if conditions.

What i am doing wrong?
Is that the right way to use conditions in logstash??

can someone please help me on this ??

if ["preinfo[task]jobname"] == "sudoers:linux"{

Do this instead:

if [preinfo][task][jobname] == "sudoers:linux" {
index => "%{[preinfo[task]jobname]-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"

Do this instead:

index => "%{[preinfo][task][jobname]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"

Use a stdout { codec => rubydebug } output until you've verified that your events look like you expect them to. Only then is it useful to enable an elasticsearch output.

Thanks @magnusbaeck ...i made the changes..but now this time its not showing anything. not even in the logs. I am using logstash 2.4 so i thought that might be a bug in 2.4 but its not wotking in 5.2 also. Anything else i need to do ??

It sounds quite unlikely that the changes I suggested would choke everything completely. Did you switch to a stdout output as I suggested? Have you increased the Logstash log level to get more clues in the log output?

@magnusbaeck Thanks.. i messed up the stdout part. I made it right and now it works like a charm.
Thanks a lot @magnusbaeck again.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.