Opentelemetry issue

Hello, guys:

Kibana version: 7.7.1

Elasticsearch version: 7.7.1

1. If I use opentelemetry agent, what's the difference between I send data directly to apm server( use apm jaeger port) and I send data to opentelemetry collector elastic exporter , export send to apm server? Which pipeline is recommend?

@Renz2018 Welcome to the forum!

My suggestions:

• If you're instrumenting your application with an OpenTelemetry SDK, use the OpenTelemetry Collector exporter
  • If you're instrumenting your application with a Jaeger client, then use APM Server's Jaeger intake

Apart from the fact that the Jaeger intake is a bit more mature, as it was developed first, a couple of other reasons why you might want to use it for now:

• as it is Jaeger-specific, it takes into account details like Jaeger's sampling tags in order to calculate accurate metrics
  • it supports Jaeger's remote sampling API, so you can configure the sampling rate dynamically

If you're using the OpenTelemetry SDK in your application, then the above points are irrelevant.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.