Out of memory exception for coordinating nodes

I've a ES cluster 6.6.2 composed of 3 master, 4 datanodes, 2 coordinating nodes.
2 kibana instances connecting to 2 coordinating nodes.

2 coordinating nodes are 16GB of RAM, and 7GB of Heap (min=max heap).
On coordinating nodes only I face "out of memory exception" and O.S kill jvm process for elastichsearch.

I've enabled the bootstrap memory lock, and followed documentations.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/6.6/_memory_lock_check.html

Any idea what to do to prevent out-of-memory and keep service is up?

Two questions:

First: What kind of queries are you sending to those nodes? Are your querying a lot of shards in a single query or paginating deep?

Second: How exactly is the Elasticsearch process being killed? Can you share log file output, and is the kernel OOM killer doing this or is there an exception in the logs?

Yes, the queries are hitting several shards, usually kibana is hitting different indexes.
Most of works on Kibana.

from systemd:
Jan 21 15:08:40 elk.novalocal systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=9/KILL
Jan 21 15:08:40 elk.novalocal systemd[1]: Unit elasticsearch.service entered failed state.
Jan 21 15:08:40 elk.novalocal systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service failed.

Status for monitoring.

I see the heap is never reached to the maximum? so why the service stops itself.

how is the service stopped? Please check the ES logfile and the dmesg output... are there any mentions?

--Alex

From dmesg

Jan 21 15:08:40 elk.novalocal systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=9/KILL
Jan 21 15:08:40 elk.novalocal systemd[1]: Unit elasticsearch.service entered failed state.
Jan 21 15:08:40 elk.novalocal systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service failed.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.