[plugin-development] Custom X-Pack action plugin

Hi every one.

This is the situation, I want to develop a new X-Pack action plugin to implement some missing functionality in the default catalog (https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/x-pack/6.2/actions.html).

The documentation is very concise and don’t know where to start, I have even doubts whether this is possible as an completely external plugin.

Can anyone point a guideline to accomplish this task in the best canonical way?

Any advice will be really welcome, I’m new in Elastic and kind of lost.

Many thanks!

Hey,

I suppose you are referring to actions in the alerting code. This is currently not extensible with external plugins, but needs to be within the alerting/watcher plugin. If you think others can benefit from this as well, feel free to open a github issue to discuss if people are interested in this functionality.

Thanks!

--Alex

Hi Alex!, many thanks for your help and the quick response.

Yes, I was talking about the alerting actions. This is a very custom functionality so I doubt some else will be interested.

Let me reformulate the question: Suppose I want to extend the XPack watcher email action (https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/tree/95977f4db9f5ccf21278adcc4e117e508ede6b29/x-pack/plugin/watcher/src/main/java/org/elasticsearch/xpack/watcher/actions/email), is this possible?

Are there any other way to achieve this?

Could I write an external plugin to mimic this functionality?

Not sure If I have expressed myself clearly.

As I said, I really appreciate your help, this Elastic world is huge ….

Cheers

Juan Diego

If it is very customized, it is unlikely that it will be taken into the main branch. the only other thing I see is that there is infrastructure to be able to register own inputs and actions - which right now is not there.

Maybe open an issue in the Elasticsearch repository to discuss this further, if that is feasible for the development team or not.

Ok, Thanks again Alex

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.