I think I posted my first post in the wrong elasticsearch category. I'm trying to get my new cluster up and working and I'm really struggling with order of operation. I have tried a whole bunch of things but nothing works.
I have a master node that is online and waiting for requests to join/enroll.
the master node successfully generates enrollment tokens. All my nodes can contact each other and are on the same L2 network.
The process of enrolling a new node according to the documentation is just:
- generate enrollment token on master node
- From the installation directory of your new node, start Elasticsearch
- Pass the enrollment token with the
Following those instructions I get the following error:
ERROR: Skipping security auto configuration because it appears that the node is not starting up for the first time. The node might already be part of a cluster and this auto setup utility is designed to configure Security for new clusters only., with exit code 80
So this doesn't work. It makes sense that it doesn't work though
- The install itself indicates to start ES from systemctl not the install folder.
- The elasticsearch.yml file is default with the wrong info in it and the network. host not set among other important settings.
- Setting the node name, cluster name, network.host, restarting ES produces the exact same error response code:80.
I have tried soooo many things.
- I have blanked out the security autoconfig section, then added the
- I removed all the security config and tried starting with no security so I could enroll. The service doesn't start without security.
- I tried renaming the certs created at the first startup so that ES doesn't find them and lets the master node populate them instead upon joining. Didn't work.
I need help identifying a simple order of operation for installing the software from dnf, setting the service to start and then enrolling a new node into the existing cluster. I do not see how to do this without modifying the elasticsearch.yml with the correct cluster name.
I appreciate any suggested steps to try.