Skipping security auto configuration

I'm attempting to build a 3 node cluster with Elastic 8.2.3. I can build the first node as a single node cluster successfully and connect with kibana. My problem is adding nodes.
On the first node, I've run the command elasticsearch-create-enrollment-node -s node' and received my token. On the second node, I installed elasticsearch and, without any configuration of the elasticsearch.yml file, ran the command elasticsearch --enrollment-token . I get the error "ERROR: Skipping security auto configuration because it appears that security is already configured."

On this node, I have un-installed and re-installed elasticsearch. I've also cleaned out the /var/lib/elasticsearch folder and the /etc/elasticsearch folder after erasing the RPM.

So, based on some other topics that I've read, I ran the elasticsearch-reconfigure-node command with the enrollment token. That command fails with the error "Aborting enrollment to cluster. This node doesn't appear to be auto-configured for security. Expected configuration is missing from elasticsearch.yml. "

So basically, I'm confused. One command indicates that the node has already been auto-configured for security, the others indicates that it hasn't. Either way, my node is not getting configured to work with the cluster.

What am I doing wrong?

get the error "ERROR: Skipping security auto configuration because it appears that security is already configured."

This error means the xpack.security.enabled is already explicitly configured. Please check whether this is the case in elasticsearch.yml file. If this is the new node and you don't need to retain any old data, pelase remove any settings from elasticsearch.yml and try start the node again with the enrollement token (you'll need a new one because it is valid for 30 min only).

I ran the elasticsearch-reconfigure-node command with the enrollment token. That command fails with the error "Aborting enrollment to cluster. This node doesn't appear to be auto-configured for security. Expected configuration is missing from elasticsearch.yml. "

This is expected. Reconfigure-node only works if the node has been previously successfully auto-configured for security.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.