Query on Elastic Observability Engineer Exam

Hi,

I think I have the correct forum to post this in. I can setup an Elastic cluster no problem, the main query I have is surrounding APM server and the agents.

I recently took the virtual instructor course for Elastic observability engineer, and have been through the labs / PDF material. The only takeaway from the course I received was a PDF, and so I was looking for some advise on the best way to prepare a lab environment to practice.

I.e, is there a recommended approach that can be fairly straightforward to setup one of the applications that I can install the agents (we covered RUM, node.js and java agent.) Of course it would be ideal if I had a data set and lab instructions to use as well but I can probably make some of this up in line with the exam objectives.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Hi @chris3, welcome back to the discuss forum!

If I understand your question correctly, you're looking for sample applications that can be instrumented? If that's the case, then we do have some sample applications that we run to check certain features of APM and distributed tracing in general, they're called opbeans-$language and are publicly available in the Elastic organization: elastic · GitHub. Bear in mind that a lot of these applications have external dependencies on Redis, Postgres, etc.

Yes, all I'd be looking to do is have an application that I can install those agents on. Then run through the exam objectives, through a lab environment. I was hoping for something that would be relatively straightforward to setup and test.

With the training course, I didn't obtain a copy of lab instructions. I know the agents will generate their own data but do you know where I could get a copy of instructions or just a relevant dataset?

Hi Marclop,

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. Unsure if you seen my reply post below. I am not sure if you are familiar with this Elastic Observability virtual course, I have a PDF from the course itself but the lab instructions were not easily available as a download or a takeaway in which you could setup an Elastic cluster environment, load data in and work through the course material covered during the class.

I maybe should rephrase my query towards being, would you have a recommended approach on how to prepare for this exam? I know that may seem obvious to work through the exam objectives but I am not entirely sure I understand how to install those sample third party applications. I figure that would be fairly critical to get data into the cluster for those applications.

Kind Regards,
Chris

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.