Question about "Rollover" in Index Lifecycle Policy

Hello to all,

I have a question when I configure my first "Index Lifecycle Policy". I am given the following option:

Is this a problem or a risk of data loss if I don't enable it? Because I want to keep my data for 365 days without ever having to modify it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rollover is when you create a new index, it doesn't delete the data.
There will be a section later in the policy that lets you configure when rolled indices are deleted.

Thank's @warkolm for the reply.

Ok I see. But it's also possible to not use the rollover and just choose to delete entries older than 365 days?

For example, I keep my data for 10 days in the "warm" phase, and then I put them for 365 days in the "cold" zone before deleting them. So after 375 days my data will be deleted.

In fact it is not a problem if I do not use the rollover in my case?

If you want to do this to need to roll your indices over.
ILM doesn't delete specific entries/events/documents in an index, it deletes the indices themselves.

1 Like

Thank you @warkolm for this clarification.

I'm sorry, I'm new to Elastic, Kibana and Logstash and still some parts are not clear to me.

In practice, I push events to Elastic with Logstash, always with the same index "aruba-logs".

I need to be able to view this data for 365 days and then delete it from elastic. Can you explain me briefly how to do this?

Because if I activate the "Rollover", my index will be modified by what value?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Your best option is to have a read through ILM: Manage the index lifecycle | Elasticsearch Guide [7.14] | Elastic to get an idea of how ILM works and the concepts it uses.

Then let us know if you have further questions.

Finally, what happens when the indexes reach this stage? Does it delete the data older than the chosen value or does it only delete the index?

It deletes the index.

I finally find the answers in another post : "Your data resides in your index, if you delete an index, the data is also deleted and space will be freed in the disk"

Thank's for your help

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.