Recommended procedure for manually upgrading Fleet Managed agents on Windows

Hello,

We are starting to deploy thousands of Elastic Agents on our company in Windows and Linux servers, these servers are managed by multiple different infra teams, so every change on the servers needs to be done by the infra team following a Change Management process.

For this reason I cannot remotely upgrade the Elastic Agent on those servers, the Upgrade process needs to be done by an automation process managed by the respective Infra team.

My question is, how do I proceed in this case?

For Linux servers we are installing the Agents using a rpm or deb package, and when it is time to upgrade we will tell the infra team what is the target version to upgrade and they will run some automation to upgrade the packages, this process is out of our control, we just inform that the agents needs to be upgraded to some target version.

But for Windows version we have some questions about how to proceed with the manual upgrade.

We are planning to use the CLI command elastic-agent upgrade <target-version>, so we would tell the infra teams to create some automation that will run this command on each windows server when it is time to upgrade, but the documentation is confusing regarding to it.

The documentation mentioned is here: Elastic Agent command reference | Fleet and Elastic Agent Guide [8.12] | Elastic

In the beginning it says:

The commands listed here apply to both Fleet-managed and standalone Elastic Agent.

But for the upgrade command it has this extra information

Upgrade the currently running Elastic Agent to the specified version. This should only be used with agents running in standalone mode. Agents enrolled in Fleet should be upgraded through Fleet.

In our case upgrading through Fleet UI or Fleet API is not an option, we need to manually upgrade the agents, so we need clarification of the correct approach.

I opened a ticket with support but could not get any helpful answer yet and since it can take some time to get an answer I'm trying here to see if someone from Elastic has any insight about it.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.