Upgrading elastic-agent on Ubuntu

Hi,

What is the best way of upgrading elastic-agent running on Ubuntu Linux when using a Fleet server?

The Fleet console in Kibana does not give an option to upgrade these agents. I can upgrade elastic-agent running on Windows via this method.

When I try and upgrade using elastic-agent itself on the command line I receive the below:

root@gremlin2:~# elastic-agent upgrade 7.16.2 The upgrade process of Elastic Agent is currently EXPERIMENTAL and should not be used in production Error: Failed trigger upgrade of daemon: cannot be upgraded; perform upgrading using Fleet For help, please see our troubleshooting guide at https://www.elastic.co/guide/e n/fleet/7.15/fleet-troubleshooting.html

I can upgrade the elastic-agent package manually using apt but that breaks the enrollment and is fiddly to fix.

What is the correct way to upgrade elastic-agents in this instance?

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04.03, elastic-agent 7.15.2, kibana/Elasticsearch 7.16.2.

cheers,

Michael

I think u can only upgrade if u install via the tar.gz method, not of installed via package manager or docker.

You are correct, fleet managed upgrades are only supported when installed through the .tar.gz files

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.