Reset password in Elasticsearch does not work

Hello everyone, I have installed my own certificates on my Elasticsearch Server.

• root CA
  • Server certificate
    All certificates are self-signed. I now want to reset the password for the "logstash_system" user and get the following error message

root@dsme01:/usr/share/elasticsearch# bin/elasticsearch-reset-password -u logstash_system -i
warning: ignoring JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/; using bundled JDK
14:18:05.030 [main] WARN org.elasticsearch.common.ssl.DiagnosticTrustManager - failed to establish trust with server at [192.168.20.10]; the server provided a certificate with subject name [DC=de,DC=example,O=harbich,OU=pki,CN=node1.elasticsearch.intern.example.de,UID=node1.elasticsearch.intern.example.de], fingerprint [4d4e8a6eef37f6426b429b0cf629c197a43ce0dc], keyUsage [digitalSignature, keyEncipherment] and extendedKeyUsage [serverAuth]; the session uses cipher suite [TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384] and protocol [TLSv1.3]; the certificate has subject alternative names [DNS:node1.elasticsearch.intern.example.de,IP:192.168.150.20]; the certificate is issued by [C=de,DC=example,O=harbich,OU=pki,CN=HarbichCA] but the server did not provide a copy of the issuing certificate in the certificate chain; the issuing certificate with fingerprint [986fd3571759f36fb888ca53cda9a91b1b40c580] is trusted in this ssl context ([xpack.security.http.ssl (with trust configuration: PEM-trust{/etc/elasticsearch/certs/HarbichCA.cacert.pem})])
java.security.cert.CertificateException: No subject alternative names matching IP address 192.168.20.10 found
at sun.security.util.HostnameChecker.matchIP(HostnameChecker.java:165) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.util.HostnameChecker.match(HostnameChecker.java:101) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkIdentity(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:452) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkIdentity(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:426) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:238) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:132) ~[?:?]
at org.elasticsearch.common.ssl.DiagnosticTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(DiagnosticTrustManager.java:82) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1335) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.onConsumeCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:1226) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:1169) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.SSLHandshake.consume(SSLHandshake.java:396) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:480) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:458) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.dispatch(TransportContext.java:201) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.SSLTransport.decode(SSLTransport.java:172) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.decode(SSLSocketImpl.java:1505) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readHandshakeRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1420) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:455) ~[?:?]
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:426) ~[?:?]
at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.afterConnect(HttpsClient.java:578) ~[?:?]
at sun.net.www.protocol.https.AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.connect(AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.java:183) ~[?:?]
at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl.connect(HttpsURLConnectionImpl.java:142) ~[?:?]
at org.elasticsearch.xpack.core.common.socket.SocketAccess.lambda$doPrivileged$0(SocketAccess.java:42) ~[?:?]
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:569) ~[?:?]
at org.elasticsearch.xpack.core.common.socket.SocketAccess.doPrivileged(SocketAccess.java:41) ~[?:?]
at org.elasticsearch.xpack.core.security.CommandLineHttpClient.execute(CommandLineHttpClient.java:178) ~[?:?]
at org.elasticsearch.xpack.core.security.CommandLineHttpClient.execute(CommandLineHttpClient.java:112) ~[?:?]
at org.elasticsearch.xpack.security.tool.BaseRunAsSuperuserCommand.checkClusterHealthWithRetries(BaseRunAsSuperuserCommand.java:214) ~[?:?]
at org.elasticsearch.xpack.security.tool.BaseRunAsSuperuserCommand.execute(BaseRunAsSuperuserCommand.java:127) ~[?:?]
at org.elasticsearch.common.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:54) ~[elasticsearch-8.4.3.jar:8.4.3]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:85) ~[elasticsearch-cli-8.4.3.jar:8.4.3]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:50) ~[elasticsearch-cli-8.4.3.jar:8.4.3]
at org.elasticsearch.launcher.CliToolLauncher.main(CliToolLauncher.java:64) ~[cli-launcher-8.4.3.jar:8.4.3]

ERROR: Failed to determine the health of the cluster.

Can it be that I still have to activate the imported certificates in KeySore? Or what am I doing wrong.

i need some support

Greetings from Stefan Harbich

It is also strange that the IP 192.168.20.10 is mentioned. However, this IP address is not that of the Elasticserver.

The solution is to add the following entry to the "elasticsearchyml" file

xpack.security.http.ssl.verification_mode: certificate

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.