Resources for newcomers?

Hi forum.

Since I succeeded in the past creating (publicly available in github) plugins for real-time monitoring / graphing tools munin and nagios-based Check_MK/OMD for some popular streaming servers (mostly Icecast2, but also SHOUTCast and probably WowzaStreamingEngine), I'm exploring the feassibility of doing the same with metricbeat.

The problem is that I feel metricbeat being much more complex than those I know. Also, I'm not finding the typical blog article explaining how to create a basic 'plugin' (I guess I should say a 'beat') to do something easy (such as getting hdd temp from smart, apache sessions from /status or an API call)

The point is that the more I try to gather information to have a clear picture on where to start reading and working on, the more I'm getting unsure of whether what I have in mind is even possible at all, having I misunderstood the very use-case of metricbeat itself.

So... If I could read (and graph) current (or almost current) CPU usage, RAM status and so on ... My though is that I could use metricbeat to query an Icecast2 instance and monitor its current status likewise .... Is that the use-case of Metricbeat?

If so (then the door to achieve my goal would be opened) Isn't there any step-to-step guide to create a kinda 'hello world' beat? or where should I start from?
And, finally (provide this all makes any sense) do I need to master Go to create Beat?

Thank you very much in advance.
Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.