Rollover by Date - What does _refresh do and when to call it?

Am trying to understand the process of rollover using date in an Elasticsearch Index.
Was following this link - while I understood the gist of rolloever, the link mentions TWO Steps before achieving rollover:

Write something to the index

POST logs_write/_refresh

Wait for a day to pass

POST /logs_write/_rollover { "conditions": { "max_docs": "1" } }

Had the following questions around this, since I didnt understand WHEN should I invoke _refresh:

• Do I have to run BOTH these APIs each (_refresh and _rollover) end of day, in order to achieve a rollover to the next date?
  • How do I automate this so the index automatically rollsover each midnight?

anyone? Im sure this is a pretty nuanced problem - its the first time I'm configuring the rollover, just have no clue when should these two apis be called and if I should even call _refresh or should I just call _rollover the next day ?

The _refresh call will flush the transaction log and make all indexed documents available for search. I am not sure why it is listed as a step in the documentation as it should generally not need to be called explicitly (refresh occurs periodically according to the refresh interval of the index). Maybe it is to ensure a refresh is performed in case you are testing these commands in quick sequence? If you look at the blog post introducing the feature, there is no mention of the _refresh API.

I wasnt able to access th link @Christian. So I can take away that its enough that I call the API _rollover to complete the rollover of the index?

Looks like the link got mangled. Have fixed it...

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.