Rollup job unable to start

I've created a new rollup job using the PUT _rollup/job/<job_id> api. I received an acknowledged response and the new rollup index is created. However, when I try to start the job using POST _rollup/job/<job_id>/_start, there is a resource not found exception and the reason being "Task for Rollup Job [<job_id>] not found".

When I run GET _rollup/job/*, the job_id I just created does not appear in the response (thus I am unable to start it). Has anyone faced this issue before and how do I solve it? I think this is similar to the issue discussed in https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/45247 but the fix doesn't seem to solve my problem.

PS: I am using elasticsearch version 7.7

Thanks!

Can you share a reproduction of the job? It should make it easier to replicate your problem :slight_smile:

Sure, so I have a few indices which store historical data. Those indices name start with datalog.gl_* (for eg: datalog.gl_sep20). I then create the rollup job through this:

curl -X PUT "localhost:9200/_rollup/job/compress?pretty" -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
  "index_pattern": "datalog.gl_*",
  "rollup_index": "datalog_rollup",
  "cron": "0 */60 * * * ?",
  "page_size": 1000,
  "groups": {
    "date_histogram": {
      "field": "time",
      "fixed_interval": "24h"
    },
    "terms": {
      "fields": [ "domain" ]
    }
  }
}
'

However when I try to start the rollup job through curl -X POST "localhost:9200/_rollup/job/compress/_start?pretty", there is an error saying resource not found task for rollup job not found.

What response do you get from Elasticsearch for that curl?
Can you please post the full command and response when you request the job to start?
What is the output from GET /_rollup/job

When I do url -X POST "localhost:9200/_rollup/job/compress/_start?pretty", this is the response:

{
  "error" : {
    "root_cause" : [
      {
        "type" : "resource_not_found_exception",
        "reason" : "Task for Rollup Job [compress] not found"
      }
    ],
    "type" : "resource_not_found_exception",
    "reason" : "Task for Rollup Job [compress] not found"
  },
  "status" : 404
}

The output for curl -XGET "http://localhost:9200/_rollup/job/*" is {"jobs":[]}

Ok, so what's the response from the curl to create the job, cause it seems that is not working.

It is acknowledged: true

Basically it is able to create the job successfully, but not starting it.

Hi @warkolm just as a follow up to what do you think of this problem. It seems really similar to the issue raised in the github (I included the link on my first thread)

I'm not sure myself, I have asked a few other people and hopefully they will jump in.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.