Running 1.x & 5.x SxS

I am trying to install es 5.2.1 on win2008 r2 server; it already runs 1.x ES. I am getting:

Installing service      :  "elasticsearch-service-x64"
Using JAVA_HOME (64-bit):  "D:\Java\jdk1.8.0_40x64\jre"
Failed installing 'elasticsearch-service-x64' service

I am using the default jvm.options file. I have also detailed the issue at Github here

Can you please provide the contents of the service logs? These files are located in the logs directory and have names that indicate they are the service logs.

I have been able to install the service, but now when I start the service I get this in the service log: elasticsearch-service-x64-stderr.2017-02-23.log

2017-02-23 21:34:48 Commons Daemon procrun stderr initialized
Exception in thread "main" ed to bind to [9300-9400]]; nested: BindException[Cannot assign requested address: bind];
Likely root cause: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: bind
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:437)
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:429)
	at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:223)
	at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerSocketChannel.doBind(NioServerSocketChannel.java:127)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AbstractUnsafe.bind(AbstractChannel.java:554)
	at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.bind(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1258)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeBind(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:502)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.bind(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:487)
	at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.bind(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:980)
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel.bind(AbstractChannel.java:250)
	at io.netty.bootstrap.AbstractBootstrap$2.run(AbstractBootstrap.java:363)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.AbstractEventExecutor.safeExecute(AbstractEventExecutor.java:163)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor.runAllTasks(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:403)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:445)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:858)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Refer to the log for complete error details.

Sounds like some other service is listening on 9300, can I config this port in elasticsearch.yml?

I should say here, my elasticsearch.yml has http.port: 9250 - so not sure what that that [9300-9400] there is.

Can you share your elasticsearch.yml?

Sure:

cluster.name: clust
node.name: <node1>
http.port: 9250
node.master: true
node.data: true
network.host: <node1>
path.data: ./../../../data/elasticsearch_5.2
path.logs: ./../../../log/elasticsearch_5.2
discovery.zen.fd.ping_timeout: 60s
discovery.zen.fd.ping_interval: 15s
discovery.zen.fd.ping_retries: 5
# discovery.zen.ping.multicast.enabled: false
discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts: ["<node1>", "<node2>"]
http.cors.allow-origin: "*"
http.cors.enabled: true
xpack.security.enabled: false
action.auto_create_index: .security,.monitoring*,.watches,.triggered_watches,.watcher-history*

I remember reading that port 9300 is used by default by the java client. Is that the port ES uses to communicate with the cluster by any chance? If so, what's the override config for it?

Right, I've fixed that one....now I get

[2017-02-24T10:23:21,398][INFO ][o.e.b.BootstrapChecks    ] [lonms14041] bound or publishing to a non-loopback or non-link-local address, enforcing bootstrap checks
ERROR: bootstrap checks failed
initial heap size [536870912] not equal to maximum heap size [8589934592]; this can cause resize pauses and prevents mlockall from locking the entire heap
[2017-02-24T10:23:21,411][INFO ][o.e.n.Node               ] [lonms14041] stopping ...
[2017-02-24T10:23:21,506][INFO ][o.e.n.Node               ] [lonms14041] stopped
[2017-02-24T10:23:21,507][INFO ][o.e.n.Node               ] [lonms14041] closing ...
[2017-02-24T10:23:21,530][INFO ][o.e.n.Node               ] [lonms14041] closed

Read: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/bootstrap-checks.html

Can you please confirm one thing, network.host is any other node in the cluster's hostname/ip right?

Actually ignore that. That's the hostname of the node, isn't it?

Where does ES get the path to jvm.options from? Is default set to ./../config?

In jvm.options I have:

-Xms2g
-Xmx2g

but I see the following bootstrap error:

ERROR: bootstrap checks failed
initial heap size [536870912] not equal to maximum heap size [8589934592]; this can cause resize pauses and prevents mlockall from locking the entire heap

Why isn't the max heap value 2g as I'd expect from the config? Any clues?

Any clues?

Not really. Apparently it does not read the jvm.options file you are looking at.
I wonder if you have any system properties like JAVA_OPTIONS which could "conflicts" but really unsure if this should be the case even if you have such a setting.

Any clues?

Not really. Apparently it does not read the jvm.options file you are looking at.
I wonder if you have any system properties like JAVA_OPTIONS which could "conflicts" but really unsure if this should be the case even if you have such a setting.

Any tracing/logging options I could enable that would say where/what it's loading?

@dadoonet any suggestions?

No I don't have any.

May be someone else saw the same error?

No I don't have any.

May be someone else saw the same error?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.