Sankey Visualization plugin installation

Hi,
I am trying to install Sankey visualization plugin in kibana. following the instructions mentioned here

When i run the

yarn start

i am getting the following error

yarn run v1.22.19
$ cd ../.. && node scripts/kibana --dev --oss
internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:638
    throw err;
    ^

Error: Cannot find module '/etc/kibana/scripts/kibana'
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:636:15)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:562:25)
    at Function.Module.runMain (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:831:12)
    at startup (internal/bootstrap/node.js:283:19)
    at bootstrapNodeJSCore (internal/bootstrap/node.js:623:3)
error Command failed with exit code 1.
info Visit https://yarnpkg.com/en/docs/cli/run for documentation about this command.

I am using kibana 8.7.0. And i have created a plugin folder in /etc/kibana and then started following the steps mentioned in the link. So basically sankey code is in this path
/etc/kibana/plugin/sankey_vis

Hi @Neelam_Zanvar,

Looking at the plugin readme it states this is compatible with 8.3.x, so it's possible the plugin has broken in later versions.

This is a community plugin so it's not something we look after. Have you considered raising an issue or contributing a fix to the project?

Oh, In that case any other visualization that i can use to track my user journey? i have four fields in the elasticsearch document token, ip, timestamp and url. for every ip and token combination i want a graph to visualize the url visited along with timestamp.

Have you considered raising an issue or contributing a fix to the project?
No i haven't

So you could use Vega to build a Sankey chart. I would recommend having a look at the Kibana Vega tutorials and this slightly dated blog to get started.

Sankey's are great for showing flow, but if you are thinking of alternatives you could look at other options such as Chord (sometime called Edge diagrams), directed force graphs or even an Arc diagram. There are a few of these in the Vega examples repo that you could try out.

1 Like

Hi @Neelam_Zanvar , I'm the developer of the plugin and today I've managed to publish a new version that should work with both versions 8.7.0 and 8.8.2 .
PS: As it's an external plugin, it will be helpful to raise further issues regarding the plugin in Github so I can get a notification when a problem shows up. Thanks!

1 Like

sankey plugin?

@Neelam_Zanvar yes, the Sankey plugin that you originally raised the issue about at the top of this topic.

can i have the link for sankey plugin installation and configuration steps document? for kibana 8.7.1

i am following the github page for the plugin

But when i run yarn install command i am getting the following error

yarn install v1.22.19
info No lockfile found.
$ node ../../preinstall_check
internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:638
    throw err;
    ^

Error: Cannot find module '/etc/kibana/preinstall_check'
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:636:15)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:562:25)
    at Function.Module.runMain (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:831:12)
    at startup (internal/bootstrap/node.js:283:19)
    at bootstrapNodeJSCore (internal/bootstrap/node.js:623:3)
error Command failed with exit code 1.
info Visit https://yarnpkg.com/en/docs/cli/install for documentation about this command.

The new release currently only support versions 8.7.0 and 8.8.2 .

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.