Saving dashboard sends it to the end of listing of dashboards

I tried searching for this topic, but I couldn't find it.

I have several different dashboards in Kibana 6.5.2 and they need to be in a certain order in the listing of dashboards, because it makes sense for the end user to have them in a particular order. However, whenever I change/save one of them, it gets sent to the end of the list and it messes up the continuity of the way the dashboards get looked at.

For instance, if I have 5 dashboards in the Dashboards page that are in order:

Dash1
Dash2
Dash3
Dash4
Dash5

and if I edit Dash3, it then goes to the bottom of the list:

Dash1
Dash2
Dash4
Dash5
Dash3

Is this a bug? Is it a setting that I have to change?

Thanks.

There may be a way to fix this and force it to be in an order like what you're looking for. One way I've solved this issue is to build a dashboard that is essentially an index of dashboards that guides the end users. I've attached a crude drawing that might help in thinking about this. I essentially have a dashboard of markdown visualizations that users can jump off from and provides a description of the dashboard and how to consume it. Users can then expand the visualizations to full screen if desired right from the dashboard.

That is an awesome idea @stiltz. I will give that a shot. Thank you for the help. Is the "actual dashboard" the iframe link?

The navigation markdown visualization on left column links to a new dashboard the is populated with the navigation markdown visualization and then the specific markdown visualization on the top row and then the other visualizations and/or saved searches in the "Actual Dashboard" section. It can be a bit tedious to set up but it really saves time if you have many consumers of the data.
I find it useful when we on-board new team members and they haven't used Kibana before and need some guidance.
I title the links in the navigation markdown visualization things like "Show me where a user has logged in" and guiding links like that. Then in the Markdown visualization with the directions I describe where to put the userid being searched for (in the discover search bar) and then how to interpret the fields that will be returned. In that example the primary dashboard is just a saved search.

Hopefully that helps.

I spun up a new lab quick to put together a demo of what this looks like.

What you see below is a simple 3 panel dashboard. The Dashboard Navigation panel are just links to the dashboard with that support the link in the navigation panel. This is a shared resource across all of the dashboard that you build like this. The Directions panel is just that, a unique tip or guide for that dashboard. The third panel on this dashboard is a saved search but you could put in any number of visualizations.
Save this dashboard then copy the permalink and add a new link to the Dashboard Navigation markdown and you're set. Then your users can click the links and it will load up the dashboard.

Here is the underlying json.

[
  {
    "_id": "533d7f70-16e2-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e",
    "_type": "search",
    "_source": {
      "title": "Demo_SavedSearch",
      "description": "",
      "hits": 0,
      "columns": [
        "host",
        "agent",
        "response",
        "tags"
      ],
      "sort": [
        "timestamp",
        "desc"
      ],
      "version": 1,
      "kibanaSavedObjectMeta": {
        "searchSourceJSON": "{\"index\":\"90943e30-9a47-11e8-b64d-95841ca0b247\",\"highlightAll\":true,\"version\":true,\"query\":        {\"language\":\"lucene\",\"query\":\"\"},\"filter\":[]}"
      }
    }
  },
  {
    "_id": "ca947e20-16e2-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e",
    "_type": "dashboard",
      "title": "Navigation_WhereUserLoggedIn",
      "panelsJSON": "[{\"gridData\":  {\"x\":0,\"y\":0,\"w\":9,\"h\":41,\"i\":\"1\"},\"version\":\"6.5.4\",\"panelIndex\":\"1\",\"type\":\"visualization\",\"id\":\"73e3ea80-16e1-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e\",\"embeddableConfig\":{},\"title\":\"\"},{\"gridData\":{\"x\":9,\"y\":0,\"w\":38,\"h\":10,\"i\":\"2\"},\"version\":\"6.5.4\",\"panelIndex\":\"2\",\"type\":\"visualization\",\"id\":\"229ec040-16e2-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e\",\"embeddableConfig\":{},\"title\":\"\"},{\"gridData\":{\"x\":9,\"y\":10,\"w\":38,\"h\":31,\"i\":\"3\"},\"version\":\"6.5.4\",\"panelIndex\":\"3\",\"type\":\"search\",\"id\":\"533d7f70-16e2-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e\",\"embeddableConfig\":{},\"title\":\"\"}]",
  "optionsJSON": "{\"darkTheme\":true,\"useMargins\":false,\"hidePanelTitles\":false}",
  "timeRestore": false,
    "searchSourceJSON": "{\"query\":{\"query\":\"\",\"language\":\"lucene\"},\"filter\":[]}"
      }
    }
  },
  {
    "_id": "47ce6780-16e2-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e",
    "_type": "dashboard",
      "title": "Navigation_HowFindX",
      "panelsJSON": "[{\"embeddableConfig\":{},\"gridData\":    {\"x\":0,\"y\":0,\"w\":8,\"h\":30,\"i\":\"1\"},\"id\":\"73e3ea80-16e1-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e\",\"panelIndex\":\"1\",\"type\":\"visualization\",\"version\":\"6.5.4\",\"title\":\"\"},{\"embeddableConfig\":{},\"gridData\":{\"x\":8,\"y\":0,\"w\":40,\"h\":10,\"i\":\"2\"},\"id\":\"fb8a2c60-16e1-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e\",\"panelIndex\":\"2\",\"type\":\"visualization\",\"version\":\"6.5.4\",\"title\":\"\"},{\"embeddableConfig\":{},\"gridData\":{\"x\":8,\"y\":10,\"w\":40,\"h\":32,\"i\":\"3\"},\"id\":\"533d7f70-16e2-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e\",\"panelIndex\":\"3\",\"type\":\"search\",\"version\":\"6.5.4\",\"title\":\"\"}]",
  "optionsJSON": "{\"darkTheme\":true,\"hidePanelTitles\":false,\"useMargins\":false}",
      "timeRestore": false,
        "searchSourceJSON": "{\"query\":{\"language\":\"lucene\",\"query\":\"\"},\"filter\":[]}"
      }
    }
  },
  {
    "_id": "229ec040-16e2-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e",
    "_type": "visualization",
      "title": "Directions_Markdown_WhereUserLoggedIn",
      "visState": "    {\"title\":\"Directions_Markdown_WhereUserLoggedIn\",\"type\":\"markdown\",\"params\":{\"fontSize\":12,\"openLinksInNewTab\":false,\"markdown\":\"### Directions - Where was user X logged in?\\n\\nTo find user X you simply put in the string or strings you are looking for in the search bar. If you want to speed up your search specify a field. In this instance the valid fields are **user.id.keyword**, OR **user.name.keyword** .\\n\\nSo a valid query in the discover bar might be **user.name.keyword:jonsmith**\"},\"aggs\":[]}",
      "uiStateJSON": "{}",
        "searchSourceJSON": "{\"query\":{\"query\":\"\",\"language\":\"lucene\"},\"filter\":[]}"
      }
    }
  },
  {
    "_id": "fb8a2c60-16e1-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e",
      "title": "Directions_Markdown_HowFindX",
      "visState": "{\"title\":\"Directions_Markdown_HowFindX\",\"type\":\"markdown\",\"params\":    {\"fontSize\":12,\"openLinksInNewTab\":false,\"markdown\":\"### Directions - How do I find X?\\n\\nTo find X you simply put in the string or strings you are looking for in the search bar. If you want to speed up your search specify a field. In this instance the valid fields are **host.name.keyword**, **host.ip**, **user.id.keyword**, OR **user.name.keyword** .\\n\\nSo a valid query in the discover bar might be **host.name.keyword:windows7abc111**\"},\"aggs\":[]}",
      }
    }
  },
  {
    "_id": "73e3ea80-16e1-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e",
      "title": "Navigation_Markdown",
      "visState": "{\"title\":\"Navigation_Markdown\",\"type\":\"markdown\",\"params\":    {\"fontSize\":12,\"openLinksInNewTab\":false,\"markdown\":\"### Dashboard Navigation\\n\\n[How do I find X?](https://myuuid.us-east-1.aws.found.io:9243/app/kibana#/dashboard/47ce6780-16e2-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e?_g=(refreshInterval%3A(pause%3A!f%2Cvalue%3A900000)%2Ctime%3A(from%3Anow-7d%2Cmode%3Aquick%2Cto%3Anow)))\\n\\n[Where was user X logged in?](https://myuuid.us-east-1.aws.found.io:9243/app/kibana#/dashboard/ca947e20-16e2-11e9-b13f-cfce2d2b592e?_g=(refreshInterval%3A(pause%3A!f%2Cvalue%3A900000)%2Ctime%3A(from%3Anow-7d%2Cmode%3Aquick%2Cto%3Anow)))\"},\"aggs\":[]}",
      }
    }
  }
]

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.