Search using Kibana filter bar

Hello Everyone

How can we search using Kibana filter bar if search bar is not available. Like say for example animal:cat will find all the animals like cat, wildcat,... Similarly how can we use Filter bar to find all this kind of searches if search bar is not available.

Thanks
Sam

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Where in Kibana are you wanting to do this ? A saved search may do what you want.

Hi @Bill_McConaghy

Thank you for your prompt reply. So I have an embedded dashboard and in embedded dashboard you dont have an search bar all you have is search using filter. So how do users query for a specific word and get all the results matching that query. As in above question cat matches all the results with cat all the visualizations but in embedded dashboard you dont have a search bar to have a wild query like ca* and using filter you have to provide full text i.e cat it wont work or able to find as ca*. I hope it will make things clear.

Thanks Sam

Hi @Bill_McConaghy

Because i dont think there is way to have an search bar when your dashboard is in embedded mode. Is there any way or workaround for that or if you can advice on code change to include search bar in embedded mode?

Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam:
Looks like there is an open issue requesting this feature: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/3046

I would recommend commenting on that and adding a +1. At the moment I am not aware of any workarounds for this.

Hi @Bill_McConaghy

Thanks for your reply. Yes I would surely do that but it is just few code line changes needed to make it visible in embed mode and many users have already made that changes and made that working. So it would be great if you can advise the changes as a part of work around till the feature is added as it has been a long pending feature wait.

Thanks
Sam

Hello Everyone

If anyone can suggest an alternative/workaround for executing lucene query using filter bar or if we can use search bar with dashboard in embed mode that will help us alot.

Thanks
Sam

Hello Everyone,

I am still struggling to add an search bar in dashboard with embed mode. Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.