Self-signed certificate in certificate chain

Im having trouble running secure kibana on linux, i keep getting the below error :

[ERROR][elasticsearch-service] Unable to retrieve version information from Elasticsearch nodes. self-signed certificate in certificate chain

ELK stack version : 8.15.2

I'm already using the same truststore and keystore in elasticsearch and its working fine, its not self-signed so i dont know why i keep getting this error

this is my configuration : kibana.yml

server.port: 443

server.host: "****"
elasticsearch.hosts: ["https://****:2810"]
elasticsearch.username: "kibana_system"
elasticsearch.password: "****"

server.ssl.enabled: true

server.ssl.keystore.path: "/stc/ELK/kibana-8.15.2/config/certs/keystore.p12"
server.ssl.keystore.password: "****"
server.ssl.truststore.path: "/stc/ELK/kibana-8.15.2/config/certs/cacerts.p12"
server.ssl.truststore.password: "****"

I tried replacing ssl keystore & truststore with certificate and key as below :

server.ssl.certificate: "/stc/ELK/kibana-8.15.2/config/certs/uccws_ha.stc.com.sa.cer"
server.ssl.certificate.password: "****"
server.ssl.key: "/stc/ELK/kibana-8.15.2/config/certs/uccws_ha.stc.com.sa.key"
server.ssl.key.password: "****"
server.ssl.verificationMode: certificate

and got this error :

\u001b[37m\u001b[41m FATAL \u001b[49m\u001b[39m Error: [config validation of [server].ssl.certificate]: expected value of type [string] but got [Object]

note : i have the same configuration (certificate and key) on another windows server and it's working fine on version 8.13.2

This error is not related to the server.ssl>8 settings those settings are for the kiban HTTP settings.

It mean that kibana server can not connect to elasticsearch server because you are connecting over HTTPS with a self signed cert.

You need to provide the CA for that connection or set elasticsearch.ssl.verificationMode to none

elasticsearch.hosts: ["https://****:2810"]

See the elasticsearch.ssl.* setting on this page.

1 Like

Thanks alot for your help, that worked!