Simple Scripted Field Not Working

This is probably silly but here goes. I'm running heartbeat which pings a series of IP address. It hands back the rtt.us with a value of 10,000 and I want to converted a field from say 10,000 to 0.01. I was going to do this in scripted fields.

So I made sure that the field I was doing the operation against was defined as a number and not using the auto definition. For some reason it just won't do it. I keep getting an error message: "Script is invalid. View script preview for details".

So I went and tried this on monitor.duration.us and it worked. So I'm thinking the rtt.us field may have something weird going on with it.

I'm not super familiar with heartbeat so I may be missing something, but I don't see an rtt.us field listed in the docs. Are you sure you'er not looking for something like http.rtt.total.us?

I'm using the ICMP heartbeat and not the HTTP in this case. When I look at a document in the index for icmp is shows rtt.us.

54%20PM

I just tried this and no luck either.

1. Stopped heartbeat
  2. Deleted the index
  3. Started heartbeat
  4. Confirmed rtt.us was there

I then tried the scripted field and again it failed.

Could you check your index mappings and confirm that rtt.us is mapped as a numeric type? Also, if you check the script preview, what error do you see if any?

So I went into the index mapping and specified it as a number:

43%20PM

Here is the script error that I see when I look at the Script Preview:

{
"root_cause": [
{
"type": "script_exception",
"reason": "runtime error",
"script_stack": [
"org.elasticsearch.index.fielddata.ScriptDocValues$Longs.get(ScriptDocValues.java:121)",
"org.elasticsearch.index.fielddata.ScriptDocValues$Longs.getValue(ScriptDocValues.java:115)",
"doc['rtt.us'].value / 1000000",
" ^---- HERE"
],
"script": "doc['rtt.us'].value / 1000000",
"lang": "painless"
}
],
"type": "search_phase_execution_exception",
"reason": "all shards failed",
"phase": "query",
"grouped": true,
"failed_shards": [
{
"shard": 0,
"index": "heartbeat-7.2.0-2019.06.26-000001",
"node": "Qf30aVEnT2CiGARDlQcyVg",
"reason": {
"type": "script_exception",
"reason": "runtime error",
"script_stack": [
"org.elasticsearch.index.fielddata.ScriptDocValues$Longs.get(ScriptDocValues.java:121)",
"org.elasticsearch.index.fielddata.ScriptDocValues$Longs.getValue(ScriptDocValues.java:115)",
"doc['rtt.us'].value / 1000000",
" ^---- HERE"
],
"script": "doc['rtt.us'].value / 1000000",
"lang": "painless",
"caused_by": {
"type": "illegal_state_exception",
"reason": "A document doesn't have a value for a field! Use doc[].size()==0 to check if a document is missing a field!"
}
}
}
]
}

Sounds like rtt.us does not exist in every document. Can you try the fix suggested in the error message?

I'm not sure how I would do that. In other words, where do I put or execute that command?

It would be part of the Painless script, something like this:

if (doc['rtt.us'].size() != 0) {
    doc['rtt.us'].value / 1000000
}
1 Like

That did the trick. Thank you very much for helping with this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.