Simple Search and confusion

I am currently working on searching for failed "computer accounts" in windows event ID 4776.
Data
2018 Jun 14 16:21:31 WinEvtLog: Security: AUDIT_FAILURE(4776): Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing: (no user): no domain: somedoman.com: The domain controller attempted to validate the credentials for an account. Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0 Logon Account: CCOMPUTERNAME$ Source Workstation: CCOMPUTERNAME Error Code: 0xc0000064

Basicly I am just trying to do
data.id:4776 AND full_log: "Account: CC*$"
or computers that start with CC.

I just cant seem to get it working.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Can you give an example of what the document looks like which your indexing?

Thanks for the Reply.

The system is configured to receive messages from OSSEC, so all the documents are just windows event logs.

Windows uses a $ sign at the end of the computer name to signify that it is a computer account.
So a normal user would have an account like "CoreyH" and the computer that is joined to the domain would have account like COMPUTER$

I am trying to search for computers that start with CC and end with $ so that I can send the request to the correct team.

SO a single doc is:
2018 Jun 14 16:21:31 WinEvtLog: Security: AUDIT_FAILURE(4776): Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing: (no user): no domain: somedoman.com: The domain controller attempted to validate the credentials for an account. Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0 Logon Account: CCOMPUTERNAME$ Source Workstation: CCOMPUTERNAME Error Code: 0xc0000064

That "$" is no supposed to be a special character, but for the life of me, I cant seem to use it in a search.

Thanks for you time.
Corey

BUMP :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.