Specify Kiaban's plugin version for Elastic 5.0.0

I am developing a plugin for Kibana 5.0.0. Where can I specify the plugin version for the sake of version managing?

Previously, the plugin version was specified in the plugin's package.json in version (i.e. version: 0.1.0). Tried to do so in Kibana 5.0.0, results in "Plugin installation was unsuccessful due to error "Incorrect Kibana version in plugin [arc_fieldformatters]. Expected [5.0.0]; found [0.1.0]".

I think the problem is that Kibana is checking (and requiring) that plugins match Kibana version. So try setting your plugin version to 5.0.0 and see if that works.

Regards,
Lee

You must specify an exact Kibana version number that you've verified your plugin to work against, and you can do that in one of two ways:

1. In the version field of your package.json, which essentially means one version of your plugin per version of Kibana (i.e. version: '5.0.0'). This method may be removed in the future, but that's unclear at the moment.
  2. In the a kibana.version block in your package.json (i.e. kibana: { version: '5.0.0' }, which allows you to have multiple versions of your own plugin that are compatible with a given Kibana version. This is is probably what you want if you're actively developing a plugin as you'll likely be publishing new versions frequently.

Edit: This was all added in this PR: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/pull/8222

1 Like

The kibana.version is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!