SSH auth logs not visualized in Kibana

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to the Elasticstack and currently trying to set up a centralized dashboard for the logs of all my servers. (And also use the system to replicate all logs to my monitoring server, where I'm currently trying to install the 7.x Elasticstack on)
My problem is that Kibana doesn't visualize ssh login attempts although it seems to get the data as "system.auth".

Screenshot of the Dashboard:

Screenshot of the "Logs" section:

Setup:

Server1 (CentOS 7): monitoring.myhost.tld (10.10.10.10 external IP, 1.1.1.1 internal IP)

• Elasticsearch (listening on localhost)
  • Kibana (listening on localhost)
  • Logstash (listening on 1.1.1.1)
  • Filebeat
  • Nginx (Used as a reverse proxy for Kibana, listening on 10.10.10.10)

Server2 (Debian 10)

• Filebeat

Server3 (CentOS 7)

• Filebeat

and so on... (All are Debian or CentOS)

Config files (I just wrote down the changes I made):

Server1 (Elasticsearch):

/etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml:

network.host: localhost

Server1 (Kibana):
//No changes

Server1 (Logstash):

/etc/logstash/conf.d/02-beats-input.conf:

input {
  beats {
    port => "5044"
    host => "1.1.1.1"
  }
}

/etc/logstash/conf.d/10-syslog-filter.conf:

filter {
  if [fileset][module] == "system" {
    if [fileset][name] == "auth" {
      grok {
        match => { "message" => ["%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sshd(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: %{DATA:[system][auth][ssh][event]} %{DATA:[system][auth][ssh][method]} for (invalid user )?%{DATA:[system][auth][user]} from %{IPORHOST:[system][auth][ssh][ip]} port %{NUMBER:[system][auth][ssh][port]} ssh2(: %{GREEDYDATA:[system][auth][ssh][signature]})?",
                  "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sshd(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: %{DATA:[system][auth][ssh][event]} user %{DATA:[system][auth][user]} from %{IPORHOST:[system][auth][ssh][ip]}",
                  "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sshd(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: Did not receive identification string from %{IPORHOST:[system][auth][ssh][dropped_ip]}",
                  "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sudo(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: \s*%{DATA:[system][auth][user]} :( %{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][error]} ;)? TTY=%{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][tty]} ; PWD=%{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][pwd]} ; USER=%{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][user]} ; COMMAND=%{GREEDYDATA:[system][auth][sudo][command]}",
                  "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} groupadd(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: new group: name=%{DATA:system.auth.groupadd.name}, GID=%{NUMBER:system.auth.groupadd.gid}",
                  "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} useradd(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: new user: name=%{DATA:[system][auth][useradd][name]}, UID=%{NUMBER:[system][auth][useradd][uid]}, GID=%{NUMBER:[system][auth][useradd][gid]}, home=%{DATA:[system][auth][useradd][home]}, shell=%{DATA:[system][auth][useradd][shell]}$",
                  "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} %{DATA:[system][auth][program]}(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: %{GREEDYMULTILINE:[system][auth][message]}"] }
        pattern_definitions => {
          "GREEDYMULTILINE"=> "(.|\n)*"
        }
        remove_field => "message"
      }
      date {
        match => [ "[system][auth][timestamp]", "MMM  d HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss" ]
      }
      geoip {
        source => "[system][auth][ssh][ip]"
        target => "[system][auth][ssh][geoip]"
      }
    }
    else if [fileset][name] == "syslog" {
      grok {
        match => { "message" => ["%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][syslog][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][syslog][hostname]} %{DATA:[system][syslog][program]}(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][syslog][pid]}\])?: %{GREEDYMULTILINE:[system][syslog][message]}"] }
        pattern_definitions => { "GREEDYMULTILINE" => "(.|\n)*" }
        remove_field => "message"
      }
      date {
        match => [ "[system][syslog][timestamp]", "MMM  d HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss" ]
      }
    }
  }
}

/etc/logstash/conf.d/30-elasticsearch-output.conf:

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => ["localhost:9200"]
    manage_template => false
    index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{[@metadata][version]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
  }
}

Server1/Server2/ServerX... (Filebeat):

//I commented out:

#output.elasticsearch:
      # Array of hosts to connect to.
    #  hosts: ["localhost:9200"]

//And commented in:

output.logstash:
      # The Logstash hosts
      hosts: ["1.1.1.1:5044"]

and so on... (The configuration on Server2 to ServerX for filebeat is always the same)

Further information:

Is there anyone here who can help me with this problem or provide a link if someone already had similar problems? (I wasn't able to find anything)

Best regards,

Arnim

Anyone got an idea?

Recategorizing this post in the SIEM category.

Why not use auditbeat instead. That way its pretty easy to ingest the data to SIEM app.

Hi,

@Blason I never heard of SIEM, I'll have a look at it. But for now I would like to fix the problem from the initial post. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Arnim

Arnim,

I think you just need to enable the Filebeat system module and allow that to handle the data normalization. The Logstash filter isn't writing data in ECS format so the Filebeat System Dashboards aren't going to work on your data ootb.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/current/filebeat-module-system.html
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/ecs/current/index.html

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.