Strange reindex behaviour

I'm doing some reindex of daily index to monthly ones and sometimes the reindex process enters in a loop and starts again after it already reindexed the documents.

For example, considering the index indexName-2021.05.01 with 500.000 documents and reindexing it into indexName-2021.05, I start the reindex process with the following request:

POST _reindex
{
  "source": {
    "index": "indexName-2021.05.01"
  },
  "dest": {
    "index": "indexName-2021.05"
  }
}

Then I use GET _tasks?actions=*reindex&detailed to get the task id and GET _tasks/taskID to monitor the progress.

I can see the created number increasing as expected.

"status" : {
            "total" : 500000,
            "updated" : 0,
            "created" : 184000,
            "deleted" : 0,
            "batches" : 184,
            "version_conflicts" : 0,
            "noops" : 0,
            "retries" : {
              "bulk" : 0,
              "search" : 0
            }

I also use the Discover in Kibana to compare the documents, in one tab I filter by the daily index and in the other i filter by the monthly index, both using the same time interval, which correspond the the time interval present in the daily index.

After sometime I check again for the progress using the task id and got an answer saying that the task doesn't exist anymore, from discover I can see that all documents were reindexed as expected.

But if I run GET _tasks?actions=*reindex&detailed to get the tasks running I can see few tasks doing reindex for the same index, but now they show the updated part of the status response increasing.

"status" : {
            "total" : 500000,
            "updated" : 175000,
            "created" : 0,
            "deleted" : 0,
            "batches" : 175,
            "version_conflicts" : 0,
            "noops" : 0,
            "retries" : {
              "bulk" : 0,
              "search" : 0
            }

My question is: What can cause this to happen since the documents were already indexed?

Sometimes this reindex loop takes a long time, which makes the load and CPU of the nodes doing the reindex process to increase a lot.

Normally when this happens and I can confirm that all the documentes were reindexed, I cancel all the reindex tasks using:

POST _tasks/_cancel?actions=*reindex

But I would like to know why this is happening and how to avoid it.

I'm currently running version 7.9.3, an upgrade to 7.12.1 is planned for the next weeks.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.