Style guide for Kibana: text (e.g. capitalization) and graphical (e.g. layout)?

Does Elastic have its own in-house style guide for Kibana dashboards? For example, for saved object names, panel titles, axis labels, series names (e.g. capitalization)? And/or recommendations for users?

I develop documentation and software for various brands, platforms, environments, and frameworks.

Each of these—I'm going to use a collective term, "domain"—might have its own style guidelines. Sometimes, specific style guidelines for a particular combination of domains conflict with each other: in which case, one needs to define a hierarchy, an order of precedence.

When I develop a Kibana dashboard, I typically already have some foundational style guidelines; say, for capitalization of terms. However, I'd be interested to know whether Elastic itself, or the wider Elastic community, has a formal, or even informal, set of style guidelines specifically for Kibana dashboards. In particular, although by no means restricted to: capitalization of terms, such as panel titles and axis labels.

In practice, the typical convention for dashboard and panel titles seems to be "initial caps" rather than "sentence style" ("Web Traffic" versus "Web traffic").

Whereas, based on the automatically generated all-lowercase text for auto-scaled time intervals, such as "per hour", Elastic's convention for axis labels appears to be perhaps either "all lowercase" (say, if that "per hour" is the entire axis label), or "sentence style" (if "per hour" is preceded by a "display name").

I also note the use of terms in square brackets in saved object names. I'm curious about that. At first, I thought that perhaps this practice was superseded by tags in Kibana, but I notice that filtering by tags is not available everywhere that such names are listed in the Kibana UI.

I'm also interested in graphical guidelines; in particular, guidelines that might be specific to Kibana (or similar analytics platforms), such as, perhaps, more-or-less off the top of my head: "put visualizations that are intended to be clicked, to create in-dashboard filters, up at the top of the dashboard, close to where the resulting filters are shown". While I also welcome more general guidelines, I do have a shelf of such guidelines, including (although, currently packed away in one of numerous storage boxes), reference books such as The Visual Display of Quantitative Information (Edward Tufte).

I can only comment on one of the points you touched upon in your post:

the square brackets in saved objects are used to combine similar objects together in the list and making them easier to find. Saved object tagging is a very recent addition and it will be integrated more and more in the UI in order to make saved objects easier to find and use and it can probably replace the square bracket tags.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.