There's no APM index pattern available. To use the Query bar, please choose to import the APM index pattern in the Setup Instructions

I'm using Elastic Stack 6.4.0 and I get following message when I go to APM app (via Kibana):

There's no APM index pattern available. To use the Query bar, please choose to import the APM index pattern in the Setup Instructions.

I do have apm-* in Index Patterns and everything used to work fine w/ 6.3.2.

also, inside of Setup page/APM:

• APM Server status --- You have correctly setup APM-Server
  • APM Agents --- Data successfully received from one or more agents
  • Load Kibana objects --- 16 of 16 objects already exist. Click 'Confirm overwrite' to import and overwrite existing objects. Any changes to the objects will be lost., after confirmed and get 16 saved objects successfully added

Please advise.

Sorry for the trouble @alexus . We introduced a breaking change in 6.4.0 detailed in the release notes. That will be rolled back in the next patch release but in the meantime you can follow instructions there to get up and running.

I made adjustments to apm-server.yml per release notes and now even though I'm seeing some of my "SERVICES", I'm still seeing same message:

There's no APM index pattern available. To use the Query bar, please choose to import the APM index pattern in the Setup Instructions.

Based on your first post, it sounds like you've properly loaded the necessary Kibana objects. Unfortunately, I've retested the upgrade from 6.3.2 to 6.4.0 and can't reproduce the issue. Are there any warnings or additional information in the index patterns management UI (http://your-kibana-url/app/kibana#/management/kibana/indices/apm-*)?

I even killed all apm* indices, yet message still there and there are no warning via Index management (health of indexes shows green).

Hi @alexus, let's try this:

1. Change your index pattern to apm* by adding the following to kibana.yml:
apm_oss.indexPattern: 'apm*'
  1. Wait for Kibana to restart (or restart manually) for the above step to be applied.

2. Load Kibana objects once more. If you look in Index Patterns you should now see the index pattern apm*.

3. Go to APM UI and refresh the page. Hopefully the problem no longer persists.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.