Timelion dashboard unable to identify Elasticsearch index

I have a few Timelion visualizations which depend on logstash index. We have exported the dashboard, visualizations and index-pattern as JSON. When a kibana container comes up, these dashboard, visualizations and index-pattern is imported using curl commands. Since there would be no documents when the container comes up, timelion visualizations are unable to find the logstash index and give the following error.

Error: in cell #1: Elasticsearch index not found: logstash-*
at throwWithCell (/usr/share/kibana/src/core_plugins/timelion/server/handlers/chain_runner.js:45:11)
at /usr/share/kibana/src/core_plugins/timelion/server/handlers/chain_runner.js:175:13
at arrayEach (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/lodash/index.js:1289:13)
at Function. (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/lodash/index.js:3345:13)
at /usr/share/kibana/src/core_plugins/timelion/server/handlers/chain_runner.js:167:24
at bound (domain.js:280:14)
at runBound (domain.js:293:12)
at tryCatcher (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/bluebird/js/main/util.js:26:23)
at Promise._settlePromiseFromHandler (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/bluebird/js/main/promise.js:503:31)
at Promise._settlePromiseAt (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/bluebird/js/main/promise.js:577:18)
at Promise._settlePromises (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/bluebird/js/main/promise.js:693:14)
at Async._drainQueue (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/bluebird/js/main/async.js:123:16)
at Async._drainQueues (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/bluebird/js/main/async.js:133:10)
at Immediate.Async.drainQueues (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/bluebird/js/main/async.js:15:14)
at runCallback (timers.js:672:20)
at tryOnImmediate (timers.js:645:5)

In the above scenario, A kibana visualization gives "no result found". But, timelion fails with error. It would be useful to display "no results found" in timelion as well so the user knows there are no documents instead of an index error.
Any suggestions on how to handle this in timelion?

Hi

I will try and reproduce your scenario. Can you plz let us know which version of ES/Kibana/Logstash are you running .

Thanks
Rashmi

Thanks, Rashmi. We are using ELK 5.5

This sounds like a reasonable Enhancement Request. Can you plz go ahead and file one . Sign in to GitHub · GitHub
Thanks
Rashmi

Playing around with kibana and ES, i realised that we are creating the index pattern in kibana but not the indices in ES. I am guessing this could be the reason for the error message. The dashboard starts working as soon as we add the index in elasticsearch.

The error seems to be correct. But, the timelion graph is empty and does not display x or y axis and no message is displayed giving an impression that something went wrong. Instead, it would be useful to display "No results found" similar to kibana.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.