Too many open files error

(Ikenna Darlington) #1

Hello,

Currently using elasticsearch 2.0 , had to create another user to run it since it cant run as root.

I have changed the settings for ulimit in the limits.conf file and also added the required lines in common-session file.

The ulimit for the user is updated but when I check the ulimit for elasticsearch's process id , it is not updated. I have also rebooted the server.

Is there a solution to this ? @s1monw @warkolm

(Mike Simos) #2

Hi,

I would set /etc/security/limits.conf to something like:

elasticsearch      soft nofile 64000                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
elasticsearch       hard nofile 64000 

Then reboot your server(s) and when you type ulimit -a it should be now set to open files to 64000.

(Ikenna Darlington) #3

yeah, I have added that, the ulimit for the user has been updated, when i check ulimit it confirms that. but when i check elasticsearch's process limits it is not updated

(Mike Simos) #4

ulimit needs to be set every time before starting the process. So typically this is set in the init script. If you modify the Elasticsearch init script and add ulimit -a do you see this being set? If not then you should either modify /etc/sysconfig/elasticsearch if you're using the RPM. Or use /etc/security/limits.conf to modify this value.

(Ikenna Darlington) #5

Hello, thanks for the help, I solved the problem by adding

limit nofile 64000 64000

to elasticsearch's init script.

(system) #6