Top N Visual Builder Count Not Working

I've had various issues with the Top N displaying properly for the Visual Builder. On versions previous to 6.2.2, it would count the total instances but not always sort them in descending order. Currently, this is what I have going on:

The term being grouped is geoip.country_name.keyword. As you can see, it's showing zero across the board but if I build it via a table, as shown below, there are definitely values that can be counted. What am I doing wrong here?

1 Like

The way that Time Series Visual Builder works is different than a Data Table Visualization, because in TSVB, everything starts with a histogram that uses a time interval from a timestamp field.

It's easier to understand if you start from the "Time Series" chart. I made a chart with server logs and put it into a chart.

My mouse cursor is all the way to the left, and the legend is showing top terms for that last time bucket.

Without changing any of the panel options, I change to "Top N"

The terms here are just a "blown up" view of the terms shown in the last time bucket of the Time Series chart.

If you're getting only zeroes for the Top N chart, take a look at what the data looks like in the Time Series view. The time range could be expanded in a way that makes the last time bucket have zero counts for terms that exist in earlier time buckets.

1 Like

Doing as you said, here's what it looks like:

If I then switch to Top N, I get all zeros. If I refine the time frame to a small slice that has no zeros, then I get values in Top N. So I guess what I am trying to accomplish is a Top 10 of countries that appear in a given time. I like the vertical bar graph the TSVB provides, does one of the other visualizations more appropriately fit my needs/desires?

Yes, you can choose "Horizontal Bar Chart" when choosing your type of new visualization:

Ya, I asked the question before going and looking for myself, lol. I am currently playing with it, thanks for the help @tsullivan

1 Like

OK, one more question. With the TSVB, I could link the each Top N entry. I don't see the ability to do that with the Horizontal Bar visualization. Is there a way or different visualization that will give me that functionality as well?

Sorry, that does not work for the "core" visualization types when the value to format is in the legend of a chart.

You can add a field formatter to an index pattern to have Kibana format the field how you want whenever it is displayed, but when it gets formatted in a legend, there is no clickable link:

The best I could get is something that looks like this:

Sounds good, thanks again @tsullivan.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.