Transport communication between node with opendistro and node with xpack fails

We do have an elastic setup (not complete stack,but elastic clusters in two sites with CCR enabled) We want to migrate from opendistro to X-pack security also upgrade ES version from 7.3 to 7.17.

We use our internal API to perform this upgrade. We are facing an issue that when i initiate an upgrade and migration to Xpack on one node ,its unable to communicate with another node in a cluster with opendistro.

Is there any guide available to handle this case?

OpenSearch/OpenDistro are AWS run products and differ from the original Elasticsearch and Kibana products that Elastic builds and maintains. You may need to contact them directly for further assistance.

(This is an automated response from your friendly Elastic bot. Please report this post if you have any suggestions or concerns :elasticheart: )

This is expected, Elastcisearch won't communicate with Opendistro.

There is not and I'm not sure Elastic support this upgrade path, I think that if you want to try it you will need to do a full cluster stop, it doesn't seem to be possible to do a rolling upgrade in this case since Elasticsearch nodes won't talk with Opendistro nodes and the master nodes needs to be the last ones to be update on a rolling upgrade.

If you upgrade a non-master node from Opendistro to Elasticsearch, it will not connect to the other nodes and the masters with Opendistro, if you upgrade first your masters, your nodes won't talk to it either as they are running opendistro and on a lower version.

Do you have cross-cluster replication with Elastic or Opendistro? It is not clear, but keep in mind that CCR is not available in the Basic license of the Elastic Stack, you need a paid license, Platinum or Enterprise.

We have X-pack platinum license and we have configured CCR with that

Your best option would be to run a remote reindex from your old opendistro cluster to the new Elasticsearch one.

You could try a snapshot and restore, but I am not sure if aws has made changes to the way that works in their fork.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.