Unable to install Elastic 8.1.x using Helm

I've spent days trying to get an 8.x working and it is all over the place. I'm using the examples in the helm-charts repo and read the documentation and I still can't come up with a working combination.

using this as a starting config and get a copy of it locally.

helm install elasticsearch elastic/elasticsearch -f ./values.yaml --set imageTag=8.1.0

I then get an exception:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown setting [node.ml] please check that any required plugins are installed, or check the breaking changes documentation for removed settings
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:563)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:509)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:479)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:449)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.SettingsModule.(SettingsModule.java:151)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.SettingsModule.(SettingsModule.java:56)
at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.(Node.java:447)
at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.(Node.java:284)```

I go through the docs with regards to node.roles with 8.x and I put this in the values.yaml:
`node.roles: [ master ]` and get this exception
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown setting [node.master] please check that any required plugins are installed, or check the breaking changes documentation for removed settings

```at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:563)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:509)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:479)
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:449)
at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.(Node.java:284)

Also tried the 7.x style and get the next exception
roles:
master: "true"
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown setting [node.ml] please check that any required plugins are installed, or check the breaking changes documentation for removed settings

at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.(Node.java:447)```

Then I tried this and got the same exception
roles:
master: "true"
ml: "false"
```at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:563)
at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.(Node.java:284)```

Is there a working scenario for helm charts with 8.x - please point me to a working example - not the documentation because that doesn't work. Documentation with examples is much more helpful especially for the not so experts or the ones starting up.

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

The helm charts don't support 8.X as yet unfortunately, please follow Elastic 8.x charts? · Issue #1594 · elastic/helm-charts · GitHub for future updates.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.