Unusual auth error after moving to Elastic stack v6.4.2

(Nick George) #1

Hi,

I've just updated to v6.4.2 of Elasticsearch + Kibana. (RPM on RHEL7)

I'm encountering some auth errors when starting Kibana. I am using Searchguard (no issues prior to v6.4.2), and normally if there are any issues with it, I would see logs in elasticsearch.log (in which I'm seeing no errors).

When I start Kibana, I see the following in the kibana.log:

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2018-10-21T01:16:32Z","tags": ["status","plugin:elasticsearch@6.4.2","error"],"pid":4973,"state":"red","message":"Status changed from yellow to red - Authentication Exception","prevState":"yellow","prevMsg":"Waiting for Elasticsearch"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2018-10-21T01:16:32Z","tags":["warning"],"pid":4973,"message":"Detected an unhandled Promise rejection.\nAuthentication Exception :: {\"path\":\"/myindex/_search\",\"query\": 
{\"q\":\"type=acl\",\"size\":100},\"statusCode\":401,\"response\":\"Unauthorized\",\
"wwwAuthenticateDirective\":\"Basic realm=\\\"Search Guard\\\"\"}"}

I'd like to be able to completely disable or remove x-pack, but this doesn't appear possible. As an alternative, I've disabled xpack security in the elasticsearch.yml, but that doesn't appear to have helped.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Nick George

Is there an elasticsearch-oss (RPM) package?
(Nick George) #2

A quick update.

I just tried the elasticsearch-oss package in order to completely take x-pack out of the equation, but am getting the same error. Will keep looking.

(Spencer Alger) #3

You can also use the kibana-oss package which does not include X-Pack. Hope that helps!

(Nick George) #4

Thanks for your message Spencer.

I managed to fix the issue. Was purely due to my own misconfiguration of Kibana. Please disregard.

I was dropping Kibana's credentials from kibana.yml. Doh!

(system) #5

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.