Upgrade from basic to gold

Hi community,

I have an Elastic cluster version 6.7.0:

• 6 elastic nodes
  • 2 logstash nodes
  • 3 kibana nodes

We enabled basic license without security module. All cluster is installed with ansible.

Now we bought gold license so we need to upgrade license (and we want to upgrade to 7.x).
I have some questions:

• Is the TLS communication between node a must?
  • Is it possible to upgrade cluster without shutdown all nodes? If logstash can't connect to Elasticsearch for some minute what's happen?
  • What is the best docs for upgrade from basic to gold license.
  • Is it better to upgrade license or upgrade from 6.x to 7.x

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Hi @Fedele_Mantuano,

From the documentation:

To upgrade directly to 7.1.1 from 6.7 or earlier, you must shut down the cluster, install 7.1.1, and restart.

You could upgrade your cluster to 6.8 version and then do upgrade to 7.1.1 where you can take advantage of rolling upgrade:

Rolling upgrades are supported:

Between minor versions
From 5.6 to 6.8
From 6.8 to 7.1.1

Refer: Upgrade Elasticsearch | Elasticsearch Guide [7.1] | Elastic

If Elasticsearch security features are enabled and you are installing a gold or platinum license, you must enable TLS on the transport networking layer before you install the license

Refer: Update license API | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic

For your case we suggest:-

• doing an upgrade from 6.7 to 6.8 and then to 7.x as you can take advantage of rolling upgrade
  • after upgrading to 7.x, you can update the license to Gold and enable security and TLS

Remember to follow the instructions and take steps to do the backup before proceeding with the upgrade as outlined in the

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Yogesh Gaikwad

Note: This will require a full cluster restart. It is not possible to enable TLS and/or security as part of a rolling upgrade.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. I will share my experience with you... and good luck to me.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.