Upgrading elk stack without stopping services using docker

I have elk stack running on docker now the question is i want to upgrade to 7.8 version.Is there any way to upgrade the images of elk stack without stopping container ?

You should be able to replace each container with the updated one, on a rolling basis. What version are you upgrading from?

I am currently using 7.5 version of elk stack

Then yes, you can replace the containers one by one.

I don't know how to do it i have only docker-compose file and i am thinking i just download the latest image of elasticsearch,logstash and kibana and modify the docker-compose file but this is not a good idea

I've posted my docker-compose file

You should be ok to just update 7.5.0 to whatever you want.

Make sure you take a backup though, you cannot downgrade.

Hey @warkolm this method is not so much effective . if i run elk service without using docker i can easily update the elk service by using yum update elasticsearch logstash kibana

This is docker, so it's a totally different approach. Why is that not effective?

docker pull elasticsearch
Using default tag: latest
Error response from daemon: manifest for elasticsearch:latest not found: manifest unknown: manifest unknown

This command should download the latest image but it doesn't

When i run this
docker pull docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch:7.8.0
then it pull latest image

7.8.1 is the latest version.

We intentionally don't provide the latest tag so that it forces users to pull the version they want. Otherwise someone may end up with a cluster with different versions.

Thank you @warkolm

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.